Menu

What questions should I ask a potential piano teacher?

We are thinking of switching piano teachers to someone closer and cheaper. It will also be switching from Suzuki method to traditional. I know she uses Fab...? method (see, I really know nothing!). I know how much she charges, that she has room for my boys only b/c we homeschool and can get there before p.s. kids are out, I know she takes 6 weeks off in the summer and that she has one recital. I have a glowing recommendation from a friend of a friend. What else do I need to ask? I love her price (I'll save $800.00/year no small peanuts) and location (15 minutes instead of 50 minute drive!), but I'm not feeling at peace about this - probably b/c I don't know anything else!

Oh, I can't do a trial run b/c the new teacher is on vacation now and both the old and new teachers pay by the semester.

We are thinking of switching piano teachers to someone closer and cheaper. It will also be switching from Suzuki method to traditional. I know she uses Fab...? method (see, I really know nothing!). I know how much she charges, that she has room for my boys only b/c we homeschool and can get there before p.s. kids are out, I know she takes 6 weeks off in the summer and that she has one recital. I have a glowing recommendation from a friend of a friend. What else do I need to ask? I love her price (I'll save $800.00/year no small peanuts) and location (15 minutes instead of 50 minute drive!), but I'm not feeling at peace about this - probably b/c I don't know anything else!

Oh, I can't do a trial run b/c the new teacher is on vacation now and both the old and new teachers pay by the semester.

I've taught for over twenty years . . . I would be happy to have prospective parents that want to ask thoughtful questions. If this teacher is "good", she will likely have some questions for YOU -- don't be put off by that!

Be SURE she knows you are coming from a Suzuki background. Huge, huge, very important detail. Did I mention that was important? Be prepared for weeping and gnashing of teeth from your youngsters. Ignore them, be cheerful and determined, and BACK THE TEACHER UP. They'll adjust, and it will be good for them.

A glowing recommendation is a good place to start. Bear in mind that the change of method alone will be a challenge, don't panic if it takes a while to "click" with the teacher. Faber is a wonderful method series, it's my number one choice.

I have a suggestion as to one very good question to ask a teacher: ask her to tell you about HER favorite teacher. I have a theory about music teachers: those of us who were blessed to have wonderful teachers who truly inspired us will try to pass that enthusiasm on to our students. I am firmly convinced that is more important than theory or technique. I have had teachers who were terribly proficient at analyzing chord structure who made me hate music; and teachers who were a bit rusty with theory who inspired me (and when I asked them a question they didn't know, we just looked up the answer together, which taught me not only the answer to my question, but the self-sufficiency to find answers, too).

Christy -

I've told the teacher we are coming from Suzuki, and she said she needed some time to think about how to handle that. How would *you* handle it? Are we crazy to give up a method and teacher we love to go closer and cheaper???? I also would really like the boys to be trained with classical music - is that something to ask or are most traditional method's this way? Do you know what she uses?? I know it started with an "F" and that's it, so I can't look it up or anything! Thanks for your help, this is really stressing me out.

I would want to know....

What are her practice expectations?

What role does she expect parents to play? (We have young children--7 & 5--and a Suzuki teacher, so we are expected to be very involved in practices at home.)

What are her goals for her students?

What are her policies about missed lessons? (This is important--we had one teacher with clear policies and one without. The teacher without often had to reschedule or cancel, and trying to make up or reschedule was a challenge.)

cat

Christy -

I've told the teacher we are coming from Suzuki, and she said she needed some time to think about how to handle that. How would *you* handle it? Are we crazy to give up a method and teacher we love to go closer and cheaper???? I also would really like the boys to be trained with classical music - is that something to ask or are most traditional method's this way? Do you know what she uses?? I know it started with an "F" and that's it, so I can't look it up or anything! Thanks for your help, this is really stressing me out.

Well, I've not had a student come to me from a Suzuki background. I have, however, had advanced students come to me from teachers who let them slide by playing by ear and playing by number. "What is that note, dear student?" "It's a FOUR!" :banghead:

I attacked the problem head-on. I sat the student and the parent down and said, "Look. Piano teachers do not speak against one another. That said, this student can not read music. This is unacceptable. This student will learn to read music." And so, we learned to read music, just the way I would have worked on it with an absolute beginner. They pick it up really quickly.

If I understand the Suzuki method correctly (and I've been exposed to very little, so I'm giving my best guess here) they do eventually learn to read music. Have your boys started reading music yet? If so, there really shouldn't be that huge of a learning curve. If not, well, they'll start learning to read music. Maybe they'll need to back up a level or two but that's not a big deal.

Honestly, I think the teacher should just consider them as beginning students who have been privileged to have already had exposure to music, sound, and finger control.

Teaching a child to read music really isn't rocket science. It takes patience, and determination, and a passion for what you are doing. It also requires being able to tell when a child REALLY "gets it" and when they are bluffing their way through by ear and by number (yeah, that's why they pay me the big bucks! actually, I teach for peanuts but I love what I do).

If you really want your kids to read music and to play classical music, I personally would recommend a traditional method. IMO, there is no replacement for solid theory and music reading. It empowers the student to learn music independent of instruction, and without having to hear the music played in order to play it. (Well, there is some exception when it comes to contemporary music, which is rarely transcribed exactly as performed, but that's another peeve for another post.) That said, I have a friend who is more Suzuki in both her personal practice and her teaching methods, and I consider her one of the most gifted musicians and teachers I know.

Your prospective teacher could surely google and search for some help. I would imagine there are plenty of traditional teachers who take Suzuki students. There is a whole world of forums out there, sort of the WTM boards of the music teacher world. :)

Best wishes!

I'm hit and miss on the board, feel free to email me if you have more questions.

FWIW -

Probably the series she is planning on using with your kids is Piano Adventures by the Fabers - it's terrific, I use it with my students. Very musically satisfying, emphasis on intervals and harmony, probably the most accessible series for kids coming from a Suzuki background.

If your kids are solely Suzuki, then it will be a big change. Many Suzuki teachers are adding in more note-reading, so hopefully that will work out well. If they were coming to me? I'd focus on note-reading for the first few months, but still continue their playing some things by ear - that is indeed a valuable skill.

I'm a little brain-addled tonight, but those are my thoughts. As a momma and a piano teacher - $$ and time trumps all!!!!

I think it is important in any learning situation to have a personality/teaching style fit between the child and the teacher. My dd took for a very short time (between "real" teachers) with a different violin teacher who was a "pushover" with her and allowed dd to run the show...it was disasterous technique-wise and as a non-player I didn't realize the problem until she began lessons with her current teacher.

This teacher's personality and teaching style fit my dd perfectly. She knows when to be tough and when to relax and dd just soars under her instruction.

Another thing that I never thought of when first looking for a teacher was to observe how her "top" students play. I would suggest observing another child's lesson or listening to a recital given by her students or just talking to parents of her current students.

Thanks everyone! My oldest son has started theory and reading music, but just barely and he really dislikes it. My younger son hasn't started at all, but he has only been taking lessons for a year. I'm just hoping my oldest doesn't get discouraged b/c he is learning such "baby" songs after he has played much harder things. I'm hoping the piano teacher will continue to teach a few things in his Suzuki book by ear until he gets rolling on music reading.