Menu

SilverMoon

I don't know that you need to actually do anything other than just give opportunities for her to write her own thing. I actually schedule 'free writing' twice a week so my kids can work on their own writing ventures - three of them are currently writing chapter books/novels - so I have found this to work. If I had introduced a curriculum in this time then they probably wouldn't have been so keen. Of course, they also do their writing in history and science, as well as what is required in their LA work, but free writing is just that... free!

Maybe take a look at the Bravewriter site for more ideas.

My 6yo sounds very much like your dd. She writes a lot of her own stories and I've looked up story starters online. She has made two mini books using construction paper and I got it lamented and spiral bound. If she needs help, I help her. :)

I looked into the Nanowrimo book but decided to wait because it was too much for now. I'll be watching this thread too for some more ideas.

I am using Just Write book 1 with my 3rd grader (who writes stories for fun), and she likes it. It hasn't stifled her love of creative writing; it gives her the tools for writing that she needs through a method that she enjoys. She can see that it helps her with her story writing, and I can see that it includes the basic components of writing that are necessary for all types of writing, not just creative.