Menu

Does Hake have enough vocabulary?

stm4him

Ok, so apparently it is looking more and more like I will not have the grammar/spelling/vocabulary programs for next year that I wanted for my 3rd grader because they won't be out yet. My current 3rd grader is doing LOE and my 2nd grader with her but next year she'll move on to Essentials and I don't think he will, but maybe I'll change my mind on that.

So assuming I don't sign him up, what can I do at home instead of LOE Advanced level and Hake Grammar and Writing 3? The author of LOE said to do English From the Roots Up and I think I would do spelling tests with the extra vocabulary development words next to the spelling lists. Honestly, though I still don't understand how I would do English From the Roots Up. I may do Hake 4, but I know I want an emphasis on roots. So I'm wondering if Hake has enough vocabulary. It is also a place in our homeschool where I'm not sure we have enough focus and I'm hoping Hake would take care of that without needing to add more programs.

Thanks!

My son is using Hake Grammar 5, and while I love it as a grammar program, and it does contain some vocab, I do not believe it would be adequate as a stand-alone vocabulary program (IMHO). It just isn't designed for that. It introduces two vocab words per lesson, and is designed to be 3 lessons per week.

Also, I could easily be wrong, but I believe Hake currently only has levels 5 - 8. I haven't seen a level 3 or 4 as you mentioned. ETA: I just saw on another thread you're aware of this already.

If you want a workbook-y vocabulary program, you might look at Wordly Wise. We're using it and my son likes it. I believe it does have younger levels.

You might also consider putting off formal vocab study for a couple more years and learn vocab through your spelling program. Sorry, I'm not familiar with LOE and haven't used English from the Roots Up, so I'm not sure exactly what you meant about "extra vocabulary development words next to the spelling lists". Hope someone else can help you there!

Edited by Kay_ks

1) 200 words times 5 years (if they start with level 4) is 1000 vocabulary words. That seems like a lot to me......

2) Has anyone called the company that publishes the homeschool version and asked when it will be out? If the homeschool version is coming out in the next few months I'd rather wait for that.....