Menu

TC "American History" DVD with TOG?

Another silly question.....Like TOG really needs to add anything to it, but saw that the TC had their American History DVD on sale and wondering if anyone ever paired this with TOG year 2 units 3 and 4 and Year 3 Units 1 and 2. This DVD looks like a lot of fun!:)

And if so, do you have a schedule for pairing the two together?

Blessings,

Brenda

Hi Brenda,

My boys, ages 16 and 14, and I are watching some of the Am History DVDs along with some of the Western Civ part 2 DVDs from the Teaching Company this summer as we seek to blast our way through units 3 and 4 of TOG yr 2. We need to be ready to start a Yr 3 co-op on 8/28. I wish we were starting in early Sept, but that isn't my decision to make, since we are joining rather than starting the co-op. Anyway, we are really enjoying the Am Hist lectures (the others, too). The professor is informative and engaging, and he gives a big-picture view of colonial history which helps to pull together all the vast amounts of info covered by TOG. If you have the budget for it, I would encourage you to order. The Western Civ is also worthwhile,as it gives the framework of what was happening in Europe while the Colonies were developing in America. If you can get them both (don't know if West Civ II is on sale or not), go for it, but certainly get the Am Hist is you can. Sorry, since we are doing the speed version to get through units 3 and 4, I don't have a schedule for you.

Blessings,

April

PS -I am referring to The History of the US 2nd edition, not the high school level US history lectures. :)

We have not used Linwood's DVD's but have used MANY of the TC sets this year with our TOG Year 1 trip through the Ancients. Love, love, love TOG and love, love, love the Teaching Company.

TOG was designed with a read, think, write model. Many of the specifics found in the redesign came about because parents wanted more specifics about how to accomplish all three steps: read, think, write. Now don't get me wrong - I am wowed by the info/ideas/conversation starters/background info/etc. that I have found in each week plan. Well, well, well done! But I am also VERY comfortable about tweaking those redesign ideas to meet our needs. I am using these materials to teach my kids each and every instant of every day. TOG remains a faithful, reliable, and INFINITELY useful spine for handling the administration of SO much of our homeschool, and for us The Teaching Company is a fantastic resource that fits nicely within that TOG framework.

I don't think of it as "adding" to TOG, because I see TOG as a banquet of choices to begin with. I don't plan to do it all anyway; each week we just need to cover those three read-think-write steps for each subject at each child's academic level. ;) TTC fits so nicely within that model for us.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

P.S. Please keep in mind that we view most of these lectures as a group. I use them to stimulate conversation; we pause a LOT to discuss. Oh my. Sometimes it takes a while to get through a 30 minute lecture. It keeps me steppin' to stay ahead of my kids; I need to know what questions to ask. But it's great, great fun! :001_smile: :001_smile:

Oh, yes, I learned a long time ago that TOG was my spine. I think that once moms get that, and use it as a resource instead of a "strict" curriculum, you can really enjoy using TOG. So, we are always "tweaking" it to make it fit our family. We are now on our second round of TOG with a Rhetoric, an almost Rhetoric(8th), an upper grammar and a lower grammar.

Thanks for all the wonderful information on pairing TC and TOG.

Blessings to all of you this morning,

Brenda

A quck chime-in from another TOG mom. The threads were excellent regarding TOG as a fantastic spine. Once I became comfortable with TOG and home schooling my different children I have learned to relax and have fun teaching and learnigng with my family. I jump off the TOG wagon many times when I notice a terrific book from the library that dovetails nicely with the subject in hand. Teaching Company has excellent college lectures on CD, I find them in my local public library. Throughout the summer and school year I listen to them while driving, doing house work, etc to study up. When my family travels on trips the TC "Great Courses" on CD are invaluable - the drivers stay more alert and my teens are riveted. Showing a TC DVD now and then helps mix the TOG material each week - go for it! In fact, towards the end of year 4 Marica Somerville recommeded several excellent videos to watch in lieu of discussion. One can always pause the DVD for discussion, too.

Have fun!