Menu

Miquon Math question

campmom

We are using RS b with CLE 2 at the moment for ds 8 and 9.There are no problems with understanding what they are learning so far. I am thinking of adding some Miquon to introduce multiplication and division and maybe more,fractions etc. I don't know.

Do I need to start with the first book? Do I need all of the extra books? Can we just jump in somewhere later in the books? We have been really concentrating on getting the addition/subtraction facts down, but they are already starting to ask questions about and figure out some multiplication on their own. I thought miquon might be a good way to unofficially start multiplication while still working on those other facts. What does the hive think?

I know multiplication instruction begins in the first book and it was recommended to me to start there if it hadn't already been introduced through another curriculum we've used.

Mostly though, I'm just bumping this for you in hope of someone more knowledgeable seeing it and helping.

My kids understand multiplication based on what they learned in the first (Orange) book. I would start there. Most will probably be too easy, but it is presented in fun & different ways, so I doubt they will mind!

Edited by MeganW

If you're just interested in multiplication and division, you might want to check out the videos in my signature.

I love Miquon, though, so I don't want to dissuade you from getting it! You could start with the Orange or even the Red book, I think. The most important thing is to remember to say "of" when reading the multiplication sign. So 4x5 is read "4 of 5" and your child grabs four of the yellow rod. And 1/2 x 6 is read "1/2 of 6" so your child grabs whatever rod is half of the dark green (light green = 3). For division, you ask how many of the second number are in the first number. So for 40 ÷ 8 you say, "How many 8's are in 40?" and lay out 4 orange ten-rods and see how many brown 8-rods fit under it.

Miquon is nicely organized in a way that you can do the multiplication-focused pages in a book without having to do the WHOLE book. I have a younger dc coming along so I bought all 6 workbooks and the Annotations book which has additional instruction ideas, comments and instructions for the pages that aren't self-explanatory. For my olders I would sometimes pick out a series of pages in a particular theme, other times I would have them work through parts of a book, depending on what made sense. The Annotations book has a table with all the topics and what pages in which books cover it.

I didn't buy the Diary book, especially since I was using Miquon as a supplement.

The Diary has the heart and soul of how to teach in the Miquon style. It is not a book I would advise skipping over.

The Annotations book is dense with teacher/parent math re-education resources on a wide range of math topics. It is the teacher's materials that make Miquon shine.

As to student books, Orange would likely have some lab-sheets that are very easy for an older student, but also some that thake some thought and those that lay foundations of understanding that should be reinforced outside doing "worksheets."

And once one gets both the hang of the style and the math re-education, one can "Miquonize" lessons in other math programs. It is all about teaching for understanding of mathematical reasoning with an understanding of mathematical laws, and teaching (and promoting learning) in a way children can easily grasp. It is an amazing mix of being "deep" and comprehensible.

Bill

O.K. so I'm still not sure what I need to buy to get started with this. Please advise. Thanks

I have been able to watch a few of the videos it take me about 20 minutes to watch a 6 minute video and some just won't play at all for me. I wish I could watch them all because they look really good.

I would get all 3 teachers books, Diary, Annotations, and Notes to Teachers. Notes is the slightest of the 3, but has good ideas for starting out. IMO it is the teachers materials (if actually read and given thought) that make Miquon so special and valuable.

Then, in this case, I'd probably get the first 4 student books. Orange, Red, Green, and Blue. that way the student can advance quickly on topics they find easy.

Bill

I honestly haven't found the diary to be any use yet. Maybe because much of the orange book is how we did kindergarten math.

Multiplication starts out with repeated addition. You could skim through orange until you get to that part. My son is good with mental math so starting in orange adding the small numbers didn't go over well. He is happier with bigger numbers and starting multiplication. He didn't need a lot of time to "get"using the rods. One session he knew which rod was which.

The annotations book is helpful. I don't have the teacher notes.