Menu

Anyone try Winter Promise science for early elem?

alisoncooks

I love the look of WinterPromise's offerings, but haven't tried any of them (too intimidated by poor reviews). I'm still fiddling around with our science program, mainly for next year. Anyone tried the World Around Me (K-2) or the Hoot, Chirp, Buzz, Bite (1-4)?

Edited by alisoncooks

I used The World Around Me (an older edition.. maybe 2006?) for 1st grade science and we loved it! It was very thorough with lots of reading and experiments. Maybe to much but my dd loves science. I am keeping it to hopefully do with my other kids. I do know they have changed it and have no idea about the new one. I got my IG off a used forum and the books from the library or abebooks.com

I really appreciated the topics covered, not a focus on just one area of science but covered all of it. (Life, Earth and Space, Chemistry, Physics, etc.) I added in extra books from the library as interest led and of course, Magic School Bus episodes as appropriate.

We had such fun with that year of science that last year(with RS4K) was a sad reality check. I would love to find something like that again. Maybe Nancy Larson.. but I can't afford it..:D

I know this isn't the one you are asking about, but we have Equine Science. It's great, my horse-loving dd is really enjoying it, she does it independently on Fridays.

One thing I was completely shocked by, however: Getting all the pieces of this set was a nightmare. They sent about half of it, said the rest was backordered but would be on the way, then I heard nothing for a month. When I emailed them, they said "oops, it will be right there" and again I didn't see it for a week. I contacted them again and they sent all but 1 book 2nd day, with the final book arriving a couple of days later. In all it took more than 6 weeks to get the set of books. I should have been way more aggressive & persistent, and probably would have gotten it faster. Just a word to the wise - if you order from them, stay on top of it!

We did World Around Me for second grade science, both with my oldest and again with my second son, last year. We did Animals and Their Worlds (science theme curriculum including literature, crafts, read-alouds, etc) for first grade for my oldest and I am now using it with my second son for grade 3 (including fewer crafts and read aloud stories).

I really enjoyed both sets. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

• 2 months later...

We did World Around Me for second grade science, both with my oldest and again with my second son, last year. We did Animals and Their Worlds (science theme curriculum including literature, crafts, read-alouds, etc) for first grade for my oldest and I am now using it with my second son for grade 3 (including fewer crafts and read aloud stories).

I really enjoyed both sets. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

I am interested in The World Around Me for my son who will be officially in K next year. He's just turning 5 next week and we've been steadily working through modified MP K this year but the writing is really hard for him. He just doesn't have the motor skills to match his cognitive abilities yet. It looks like there is writing and drawing in TWAM, which is fine, but I want to make sure it isn't so much that he will hate it. He's still little! Advice?