Menu

Help me settle on language arts?

We've decided to take our two boys out of school in just a few weeks, so I have to make up my mind very soon!

They're both very strong readers and seem to be good writers for their ages. The older can write a basic 5-paragraph persuasive or literary analysis essay. Younger can write a good paragraph and writes really well creatively, but hasn't done essays yet. Neither has done research papers. I'm thinking WWS for both of them? Possibly Teaching the Essay as well, if that isn't covered explicitly in WWS?

For grammar, I'm leaning toward either KISS or Stewart Principles Plus. I don't plan to do diagramming (this forum is the first time I've heard of it!) and want to focus on applying grammar, not memorizing terminology. Would either of these be what I'm looking for? Or any other recommendations?

I'm thinking Red Hot Root Words for vocabulary, then moving on to Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop next year. Or just go ahead and start Vocabulary Workshop now instead?

I don't think we need a curriculum for literature; I can just assign a book every 3-4 weeks, discuss it with them and assign essay topics. I don't think they really need the comprehension and short answer questions that seem to make up the middle school literature programs I've seen. Do you think this would be okay?

Is that covering everything? Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :001_smile:

I guess this is important: Grades 6 and 7. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by MapleMom

We've decided to take our two boys out of school in just a few weeks, so I have to make up my mind very soon!

They're both very strong readers and seem to be good writers for their ages. The older can write a basic 5-paragraph persuasive or literary analysis essay. Younger can write a good paragraph and writes really well creatively, but hasn't done essays yet. Neither has done research papers. I'm thinking WWS for both of them? Possibly Teaching the Essay as well, if that isn't covered explicitly in WWS?

For grammar, I'm leaning toward either KISS or Stewart Principles Plus. I don't plan to do diagramming (this forum is the first time I've heard of it!) and want to focus on applying grammar, not memorizing terminology. Would either of these be what I'm looking for? Or any other recommendations?

I'm thinking Red Hot Root Words for vocabulary, then moving on to Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop next year. Or just go ahead and start Vocabulary Workshop now instead?

I don't think we need a curriculum for literature; I can just assign a book every 3-4 weeks, discuss it with them and assign essay topics. I don't think they really need the comprehension and short answer questions that seem to make up the middle school literature programs I've seen. Do you think this would be okay?

Is that covering everything? Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :001_smile:

I guess this is important: Grades 6 and 7. :tongue_smilie:

If you're planning to do foreign languages, you might reconsider the diagraming. It is a huge help to have this English background when working with languages that decline.

We got a lot out of WWS. It starts by teaching outlining and then moves on from there. I rarely have used a formal literature program. As you mentioned, I found it easier to read and chat and write on our own rather than to follow the questions in a study guide.

Your boys are a bit older than mine, but looking through what you have planned, I don't see any gaps or holes. I haven't used any of the programs you've tentatively chosen, either, but we are planning to start WWS next year in 6th grade.

FWIW, I agree with you about middle school lit programs. This post by SWB has been helpful to me in deciding how to handle lit analysis with my son. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/what-is-literary-analysis-and-when-to-teach-it/

ETA: I know you said you weren't planning to cover diagramming in grammar, but if you want to take a look at another grammar program that does include diagramming, I highly recommend Hake Grammar. I think you could easily skip the diagramming in it as well if you choose to. (Hake also includes a writing component, but it is minor and we just skip it in favor of another writing program). I think my visual learner will be helped a lot by diagramming. I never learned it in school either, but I see the benefit of it now. Link to Hake Grammar: http://grammar.cc/?content=products You can also buy it from Rainbow Resource, Christian Book, etc.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Kay_ks

If you're planning to do foreign languages, you might reconsider the diagraming. It is a huge help to have this English background when working with languages that decline.

We got a lot out of WWS. It starts by teaching outlining and then moves on from there. I rarely have used a formal literature program. As you mentioned, I found it easier to read and chat and write on our own rather than to follow the questions in a study guide.

Thanks, I'm not sure yet whether we'll study any languages besides French, but I'll keep that in mind!

Your boys are a bit older than mine, but looking through what you have planned, I don't see any gaps or holes. I haven't used any of the programs you've tentatively chosen, either, but we are planning to start WWS next year in 6th grade.

FWIW, I agree with you about middle school lit programs. This post by SWB has been helpful to me in deciding how to handle lit analysis with my son. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/what-is-literary-analysis-and-when-to-teach-it/

ETA: I know you said you weren't planning to cover diagramming in grammar, but if you want to take a look at another grammar program that does include diagramming, I highly recommend Hake Grammar. I think you could easily skip the diagramming in it as well if you choose to. (Hake also includes a writing component, but it is minor and we just skip it in favor of another writing program). I think my visual learner will be helped a lot by diagramming. I never learned it in school either, but I see the benefit of it now. Link to Hake Grammar: http://grammar.cc/?content=products You can also buy it from Rainbow Resource, Christian Book, etc.

Hope that helps!

It does! Thanks for the SWB link - I think my expectations were a little high, so the questions aimed at the Logic stage should be very helpful! I took a closer look at Hake, and I'm impressed with both the writing and grammar portions! I'm still going to go with WWS, but I've ordered Hake and we'll see how it goes!

I took a closer look at Hake, and I'm impressed with both the writing and grammar portions! I'm still going to go with WWS, but I've ordered Hake and we'll see how it goes!

I don't think you can go wrong with this combo. I only discovered Hake this year, but I'm already a huge fan. :001_smile: