Menu

Tell me about Bigger (HOD - BHFHG)

mommy5

My son is in 2nd this year ... he is just turning 8. He has struggled with phonics/reading but now can decode most words. He can write short sentences -- he can do copywork. We started out doing mostly CM style learning -- lots of narration and some copywork (even in first grade). I'm curious about Heart of Dakota. I keep being drawn to it for some reason. We have never used a "boxed" type curriculum but this one seems very nice. I am thinking between Beyond and Bigger HOD and am not so sure.

So... Is there a lot of writing/dictation? Is there creative writing? I read the skill list for both and I think he fits somewhere between both. He can definitely do all that Beyond is asking of him ... sentences from dictation and free writing will be a challenge for him if he is expected to get that right away. Is there direct instruction of those things or are children supposed to already have that coming into that program?

We used Bigger for DD's second grade, but most people I know use it for third. It's a fun program, focusing on American History and an eclectic science mix. For writing, Rod and Staff second grade language arts is scheduled, and there is no creative writing apart from that. She does have dictation sentences in the back of the TM that you can use instead of the spelling lists (also in the back of the book). These are fairly simple, and she suggests using them as studied dictation (DC studies the passage first for a few minutes, then you take it away and read it while they write/spell it corectly). The only other writing scheduled is the science/history notebook pages, which require DC to copy a bible verse or history passage and draw on blank paper.

We've finally moved away from HOD this year (after 3 years) but if I wanted a box curriculum, that is probably what I would choose.

I should have read your OP better. ;) He should be fine jumping into Bigger as long as he can listen to the more complex history books and can handle the amount of writing. The work load in Bigger is quite a bit more than Beyond, but not overwhelming. My ds used it last year for 3rd and he was 8. He was reading the level 2/3 books last year though but some kids are still in the emergent readers with that guide.

Thanks for the help. I did look at the placement guide and that is why I was wondering because he seems to be able to do the work for Beyond and some of it seems a bit "easy" but wasn't sure if Bigger would be too hard for him. As far as history goes ... I'm not so sure. He did seem sort of confused with parts of our "history" this year ... not sure if it is because I didn't reinforce enough of it. He didn't remember a lot of what we read. Typically, though, he does well with narration and loves for me to read to him. Something just didn't stick with our program this year. The kids did remember about the flag/national anthem, etc. They loved that part ... just not the history part of it. It seemed confusing to them. :confused:

Looking to start in January or early February with our new year ... Trying to decide because he'll be 8 and dd will be almost 6. I'm thinking in some ways he is much more advanced than she ... so we should just do separate levels. (Especially with read-alouds/narration...)

Edited by mommy5

I think you'd probably be fine using Bigger for your son but if you have any doubts at all, I'd not hesitate to start in Beyond or use Bigger at a slower pace. My third grader is turning nine tomorrow and is on week 32 of Bigger so he did most of it for his second grade year and it worked out fine. On the other hand, my 7yods is doing Beyond for second and will end up using Bigger for third and that will be fine, too. I'm trying to pace my youngers out so that they don't hit Preparing before about fourth grade just because I've used it and know that there is a big jump in time requirements, writing and independent work.

Another factor to consider, my 8yo who is at the end of Bigger has always been a very independent sort and has been doing all the science completely by himself, most of the notebooking with just a little bit of help and is usually able to do a lot of the activity/art/vocabulary boxes by himself. If he was struggling, I would have had to invest a lot more time into the program with him. I see that you have a new wee one so you may want to consider that Beyond is teacher-dependent but not so much time required as Bigger would be with a child that needs your help for everything.

I did Bigger last year with 3rd and 4th graders. I think the writing is doable--cursive practice and notebooking pages. The notebooking can be adapted--you can have your child write more or less if you choose. There is no creative writing at this level. I like HOD, because it is complete, integrated and gentle. It is a good foundation that you can easily modify, add to, pare down ..if you want. I would do DITHOR level 2/3 in your position for reading--that would be less writing than 4/5. Could you combine both in Beyond and just adjust for the kids?

You can also go to HOD's website and join their forum/board(listed at top of page) and then you can ask the creator's of the curriculum themselves for their thoughts. They are very helpful and kind.

We love HOD--Preparing and Little Hearts are great for our family.

Hope you find a good fit for you all.

Jen

I think if we did combine in Beyond ... they both could do it. I've thought about this ... just wondering if it would be too easy for my 8 yr old. Somethings he has been exposed to more and understand more than my dd. Hmmm... still trying to decide. I wasn't sure if he would use DITHOR yet because I would consider him an emergent reader still.

I did Bigger last year with 3rd and 4th graders. I think the writing is doable--cursive practice and notebooking pages. The notebooking can be adapted--you can have your child write more or less if you choose. There is no creative writing at this level. I like HOD, because it is complete, integrated and gentle. It is a good foundation that you can easily modify, add to, pare down ..if you want. I would do DITHOR level 2/3 in your position for reading--that would be less writing than 4/5. Could you combine both in Beyond and just adjust for the kids?

You can also go to HOD's website and join their forum/board(listed at top of page) and then you can ask the creator's of the curriculum themselves for their thoughts. They are very helpful and kind.

We love HOD--Preparing and Little Hearts are great for our family.

Hope you find a good fit for you all.

Jen

• 4 weeks later...

I have an 8, almost 9 & 6yr olds. We use Beyond for both. It is not too easy for my DS because he is horrible in spelling. He loves the history. On the HOD boards they recommend doing Beyond before Bigger in any case just because Bigger is a lot more demanding. i would start both in eyond. If it is way too easy then you can move the older one up to Bigger. I think starting them in the same program (using one program to start will be better) then you can branch into using .using 2 programs starting out can be overwhelming...

My son in second grade is using beyond this year. It is fun light and simple to get done. In fact we have added elemental science earth science and astronomy to round out his curriculum. I really wish I had gone ahead and done bigger with him because beyond only takes 30minutes to complete each day (not including math and reading/phonics). The content is great and he really enjoys the projects history timeline and such but he really could have handled the workload in bigger!