Menu

Ohhhh Ruuuuth. Lol. Help?

1) What content do you want your daughter to learn in middle school? Are you more concerned about breadth or depth?

I want breadth at the moment. Because DD enjoy science but likes a variety (she wants Biology and Chemistry; my husband also wants her exposed to Physics), right now I want to expose her to a variety of fields, not just dive deeply into one. My husband is taking care of physics every other Saturday with her. That leaves the rest on me.

2) What content does she want to learn? What is she interested in? Have you asked her? Right now she wants to learn chemistry.

3) What skills do you want her to learn in science? Skills that you do not have covered somewhere else. For example, she could learn to read and write about a history textbook, but she could learn to make oral presentations and write lab reports in science. etc.

Skills. This one is tough. Autumn is dyslexic and while she *can* read well, it takes her a considerable amount of time to get through the same books/texts - and it frustrates her. She hates reading with an unrivaled passion. I'm not sure how much I want to push it in science. She is required to read and write for every other subject and I think that contributes to her dislike of many other subjects (she loathes history, for example). I suppose it may be best for her to approach science with oral presentations and lab reports. DD is a visual learner. She retains very little when it is presented TO her orally. This is two fold in difficulty - her dyslexia makes it difficult for her to read higher level content that she craves/needs, but she must read it/see it in order to retain it.

4) What kind of program do you feel comfortable implementing? Do you have the time and inclination to work with her? Do you need 1 book or can you manage many? Can you do a hands on program or do you not have the space or inclination?

I can implement almost any programss? Do lab work? Does she like to read living books or more get-to-the-point short and dense books? Does she like documentaries or lecture series? How does she process/remember the information?

She wants to use the labs. She hates reading in general and dislikes "living" books. If she has to read, she prefers a text. She does enjoy visually stimulating documentaries (not lectures though). She remembers by *seeing*, *doing*, and *reading*.

6) And here is the most difficult question for you, and I don't mean this in a snarky way - really. Are you ready to actually design a program that works with her strengths and desires? Or are you just going through the motions? Do you think in your most honest moments, that you really can't be bothered and that tailoring a program is just too hard and not really worth the trouble? Do you kind of know that in the end, you will still put her with a traditional textbook program? (And I am not against textbooks, I am just not convinced that she has the capability or interest right now to read them) Definitely ready. I want to work with her ONE area of interest; I realize the importance of doing so since she appears to struggle so much in other areas and generally dislikes school - but for science. We tried a traditional text at the beginning of the year, but it was nothing new to her so she lost interest quickly. I'm willing to purchase more in terms of supplies, books, or texts - I'm just not sure where to go with it.

On hand, for chemistry, I have the following right now:

Conceptual Physical Science

a couple TOPS units

Thames and Kosmos Chem kit

The Story of Science (chem, physics, astronomy, I believe)

Horrible Science boxed set

Edited by AimeeM

Ooooh, this is super fun. I have lots of ideas, but need a few more questions answered.

1) How much chemistry does she already know?

2) How quickly does she learn? Is she particularly good at science? Do you think standard middle school level material would be appropriate? or would higher or lower level material be more appropriate?

3) Does she need to "produce" to learn? Or can she just learn by doing and watching and reading?

4) Do *you* need her to produce output? For either your own evaluation of her learning or because it is required by your state. Or for your own educational goals for her. ( Output are things like: writing, diagrams, lab reports, oral presentations, posters, oral narrations that your write down, etc.) Or are you ok with her just learning without producing output?

5) I know she does not like to read, but can she do research on the internet? Does she like to?

6) Does she like to answer her own questions? Or does she like material organized for her and presented in a tidy way?

7) Does she like to learn abstract material? or more applied science?

8) Is she willing to have you read to her? Does she like it?

9) Does she like to discuss concepts with you or does she like to learn independently?

Ok, that is all for now. :001_smile:

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

I'm so glad you find this fun! I was worried about bothering you again. :001_smile:

Ooooh, this is super fun. I have lots of ideas, but need a few more questions answered.

1) How much chemistry does she already know? Only as much as she learned in Ellen McHenry's "Elements" last year and she didn't retain much of it (probably because of the time gap between when we did it last and when we started chem back up). She has a good grasp on her periodic table, what makes up an atom, etc, but her applied knowledge is minimal.

2) How quickly does she learn? Is she particularly good at science? Do you think standard middle school level material would be appropriate? or would higher or lower level material be more appropriate? She is great with science and tends to grasp it quickly - what's more, she honestly enjoys it. I have a hard time answering this because I don't have a comparison. She loves science and hates almost everything else related to school. Since science instruction varies school to school, state to state, and homeschooler to homeschooler... I would hazard a guess at saying yes, she is particularly good compared to what I have seen from the local public schools. My husband feels she has an aptitude for it. I think upper middle school CONTENT is at least appropriate for her, certainly nothing lower, but I have a hard time juggling the content she needs with her reading struggles.

3) Does she need to "produce" to learn? Or can she just learn by doing and watching and reading? I think she would retain better by producing. While she craves knowledge in general (as far as science), she had a difficult retaining long term what she *hears*; she retains much more from what she *does*.

4) Do *you* need her to produce output? For either your own evaluation of her learning or because it is required by your state. Or for your own educational goals for her. ( Output are things like: writing, diagrams, lab reports, oral presentations, posters, oral narrations that your write down, etc.) Or are you ok with her just learning without producing output? All that is required of the state is that we keep a generic portfolio. It would be easier for ME to have output from her - my husband is the science geek in the family (and I say that with great affection); I failed basic college biology. I'm fine with her just learning, but I worry about my ability to judge what she has learned -vs- what is necessary given my limited knowledge of science.

5) I know she does not like to read, but can she do research on the internet? Does she like to? She does enjoy researching on the computer (and she owns both a pc and an ipad, so that would be easy for her to access); she does NOT enjoy computer based curricula.

6) Does she like to answer her own questions? Or does she like material organized for her and presented in a tidy way? She does not like to answer her own questions. She has a tendency to be lazy. She has a question, she asks us to answer it, if we can't and tell her to "look it up", she would just as soon *not*. She needs materials presented to her or at least a strong guide.

7) Does she like to learn abstract material? or more applied science? Both. She is naturally curious, but naturally lazy :tongue_smilie:

8) Is she willing to have you read to her? Does she like it? She does enjoy but retains almost nothing when I read to her (she has auditory processing difficulties). She is very much a visual learner. She learns beautifully through art.

9) Does she like to discuss concepts with you or does she like to learn independently? She likes discussion. I'm the one that has a hard time with that - since I'm not well versed in science, I tend to "script read" or discuss from script/text, and that bores her. She enjoys animated discussion.

Ok, that is all for now. :001_smile:

Ruth in NZ

Edited by AimeeM

Ah, a challenge. Your dd does not read easily but likes advanced materials. She does not learn well by being read to, and you do not know the material well enough to discuss it with her or to teach her directly.

Well, even with all this, I still have a plan! I've have just 4 more questions:

1) Can you learn material with her so that you will be in a position to guide her?

2) Can she write? I'm not talking essays, but things like lists, equations, diagrams, etc.

3) Do you have the time to work with her? So a few hours each week just on Chemistry?

4) How good is her math? Does she want to study just conceptual chemistry or a bit of quantitative?

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

:D

Ah, a challenge. Your dd does not read easily but likes advanced materials. She does not learn well by being read to, and you do not know the material well enough to discuss it with her or to teach her directly.

Well, even with all this, I still have a plan! I've have just 4 more questions:

1) Can you learn material with her so that you will be in a position to guide her? I can learn it *with* her, but prereading is proving to be a bit tricky with the newborn in tow... however, I expect this to get easier in the next few months (I used to just pre-read the materials in bed at night, husband at my side to help me think it through, and that worked beautifully).

2) Can she write? I'm not talking essays, but things like lists, equations, diagrams, etc. She can. It isn't easy for her, and not always legible to anyone but her, but she can and does enjoy making lists and diagrams for study help (she can't outline, but we've started making graphic organizers to map).

3) Do you have the time to work with her? So a few hours each week just on Chemistry? Yes. I usually call her to do science when the newborn takes his afternoon nap (longest nap of the day for him) and when the 3 year old can be put with a snack in front of a movie. She generally clocks in a one or two hours of science a day. Right now, it is solely hands on.

4) How good is her math? Does she want to study just conceptual chemistry or a bit of quantitative? She is doing prealgebra right now (a la an eclectic mix courtesy my husband). This is her second round with a prealgebra mix. She does very well in math, but doesn't love it. I will say this - she hated LOF Physics because she didn't want to use math in her science studies (although we all know it will have to happen eventually).

Also, she is hoping for a career in either chemistry or biology (namely, medicine or pharm *research end*). She is getting frustrated with not being able to bank the content she craves against the reading level she needs. Her only other future goals include marrying Agent Morgan (Criminal Minds).

Ruth in NZ

First, I'll give you a feel for how I arrived at a plan for your daughter. Then, I'll lay out my plan for your dd. Obviously, you will need to adapt it as I don't know what will work for your family

She does not like to answer her own questions.....She needs materials presented to her or at least a strong guide.....she dislikes "living" books.

This tells me that she cannot just muck around and learn or use living books as a jumping off point. She needs to have a reference textbook to guide her explorations into each topic. She may not read it, but she needs to reference it, and it will guide you as you learn with her (you can read it).

She is great with science and tends to grasp it quickly - what's more, she honestly enjoys it......We tried a traditional text at the beginning of the year, but it was nothing new to her so she lost interest quickly. …..She has a good grasp on her periodic table, what makes up an atom

It took me a while to decide, but she does need high school level content. She is bored with the easy stuff, she has already worked through The Elements (but needs to review). She know at least half of what you will find in a middle school book.

The trick with using a high school level book with a middle schooler is to only plan to do half of it and to skip anything that is too hard. This technique brings it down to an advanced middle school level.

She does very well in math, but doesn't love it. .... she hated LOF physics because she did not want to use math in her science studies.
The textbook needs to focus on conceptual chemistry, so the math does not kill her interest.

She remembers by *seeing*, *doing*, and *reading*......She does enjoy but retains almost nothing when I read to her (she has auditory processing difficulties). She is very much a visual learner. She learns beautifully through art......She likes discussion......she can and does enjoy making lists and diagrams for study help.

This tells me that you will need to sit next to her and read material to her and then stop while she writes a list, copies a diagram, balances equations, etc. There is no other way that I can see to have a systematic introduction to the topic that she can remember.

She does enjoy visually stimulating documentaries (not lectures though).....She does enjoy researching on the computer

I see quite a bit of youtube in your future. Once she has the general concepts down after 30 minutes with the textbook, then she starts to find real example of the chemical reactions on line. There is LOTS of really good stuff available.

Here is my plan for your dd:

Goals

Content

To obtain a broad overview of the field of chemistry including both theoretical and practical/applied material

To be able to visualize all reactions described in the textbook.

To have a general understanding of the history of chemistry

Topics: chemical reactions, acids/bases, industrial application, organic chemistry (plus review trends in the periodic table learned earlier)

Skills

To improve research skills, notetaking skills, presentation skills, memory skills. To improve her abililty to interpret graphs and diagrams, and her ability to use appropriate chemical terminology in oral discussions and presentations.

Lab skills

To use lab equipment, to accurately measure, to design tables and graph, to identify errors, to problem solve, to draw conclusions, to tidy up.

(at this stage there are no goals for improving textbook reading skills, this might come later as she gains confidence and the desire to push forward)

Plan (5 day plan, but please adjust as needed)

Monday and Wednesday

Step 1. Your dd sits with you for 30 minutes (or more) with new section of a textbook. You read the material outloud and then discuss it with her. You and she study the diagrams, interpret the tables, look at the pictures. You direct her as to what is the important information. She keeps a notebook and during this 30 minute time writes down the new chemical reactions and important lists (e.g. industrial uses, 3 types of reactions involving alkali metals, etc). You orally quiz her to make sure she is retaining the information. She reviews the notes from previous days.

Step 2. She goes to the computer and look up all reactions or concepts in youtube and watch them. She keeps a bookmark page of all the good videos she finds and rewatches the good ones as desired. You ask her every lesson if she can visualize xxx reaction that she watched yesterday or last week. If she cannot, she rewatches that video. After the systematic work, you allow her to follow some of the fun links and watch lots of explosions etc.

Tuesday and Thursday

She does lab work. It would be great if this corresponded to the material she is learning from the textbook, but it does not have to. Often, when you finally get to the material in the textbook, a lab you have done weeks before makes better sense and you get the ah ha moment.

Friday

She works on her presentation. This can be either a power point presentation or a poster. You type while she narrates, and she picks photos or diagrams to put in. Depending on if she wants a short presentation or a long one would determine if she does one every 2 weeks or one every month. You work with her to practice her presentation skills and get her to use appropriate terminology. She then presents to her dad when he is available.

Output

Notes, formal presentation materials, and the formal presentation (you could video tape if you want a record).

Evaluation

Daily: you will be sitting there with her and can tailor the speed and level of the material by seeing what she can handle.

Formal: the presentations are an awesome way for her to show off her knowledge. I would NOT grade them.

Resources

Visual

Periodic table of videos (on internet)

Modern Marvels (there are quite a few on chemistry)

BBC Chemistry: a volitle history (and excellent 3 part series on the history of chemistry)

Youtube

Nonfiction Book

The Elements by Gray (she can use this to look up industrial uses of all the elements)

Lab materials

You have quite a few already, but could augment with Spectrum or something else if desired.

Textbooks

This will need other's input. I am just going to give you some ideas. You need a high school textbook without a lot of text or math, but with more diagrams and images.

1) IGCSE Chemistry by Gallager and Ingram. Here is the google doc preview . http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=VDglvQK1SZAC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false I have seen this book and felt that it had very little text and lots of diagrams instead. It has 2 chapters on quantitative chemistry that you could skip, if desired. It has a good amount of industrial uses in addition to theoretical material. I am happy to answer questions about the syllabus (IGCSE) as we are using it but with a different author (our textbook has lots of text). This curriculum has a standard and extended material, so you can just skip the extended material as it is more advanced.

2) Carbon Chemistry by Ellen McHenry. I have not seen it, but if it is anything like The Elements, it will have lots of hands on activities which your daughter enjoys.

3) Spectrum Chemistry is a systematic introduction to chemistry designed around labs. It does have a quantitative element to it, but I don't know how much. I know it is considered excellent and has very little text compared to any other program. The question is whether you can adapt it to a middle schooler. You will need advice on this as I don't know how difficult the material is. http://beginningspublishing.com/version2/spectrum.htm

I am sure there are other options for word-lite chemistry textbooks, I just don't know them.

Well, that's it. Please think through it all and tell me what won't work, and I'll adjust it.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

I think it looks wonderful and we will try this new sequence starting Monday. I love how you incorporated her love of art (easily incorporated into the once a month presentation).

I'm wondering if I could use the chem chapters from Hewitt's Conceptual Physical Science, since Tony is using that with her for some of the weekend physics and she will be familiar with the book on some level. I have several college chem texts (courtesy my husband), but only a couple high school level. I'll post on the board and ask about Spectrum, but I've heard that it leans young earth (the entire line of materials) and Tony would prefer I steer away from that.

Bonus! I have Gray's "The Elements"! I forgot about that! We had McHenry's Carbon Chem but sidelined it for a bit until she brushes up on the periodic table - the links for online that you gave and the Gray book should help with that!

Really, it looks great and I can't wait to start with it. She's going to have such a good time! Thanks so much Ruth.. and if you ever move to South Carolina and want to come teach my daughter science... well... lol... :D

First, I'll give you a feel for how I arrived at a plan for your daughter. Then, I'll lay out my plan for your dd. Obviously, you will need to adapt it as I don't know what will work for your family

This tells me that she cannot just muck around and learn or use living books as a jumping off point. She needs to have a reference textbook to guide her explorations into each topic. She may not read it, but she needs to reference it, and it will guide you as you learn with her (you can read it).

It took me a while to decide, but she does need high school level content. She is bored with the easy stuff, she has already worked through The Elements (but needs to review). She know at least half of what you will find in a middle school book.

The trick with using a high school level book with a middle schooler is to only plan to do half of it and to skip anything that is too hard. This technique brings it down to an advanced middle school level.

The textbook needs to focus on conceptual chemistry, so the math does not kill her interest.

This tells me that you will need to sit next to her and read material to her and then stop while she writes a list, copies a diagram, balances equations, etc. There is no other way that I can see to have a systematic introduction to the topic that she can remember.

I see quite a bit of youtube in your future. Once she has the general concepts down after 30 minutes with the textbook, then she starts to find real example of the chemical reactions on line. There is LOTS of really good stuff available.

Here is my plan for your dd:

Goals

Content

To obtain a broad overview of the field of chemistry including both theoretical and practical/applied material

To be able to visualize all reactions described in the textbook.

To have a general understanding of the history of chemistry

Topics: chemical reactions, acids/bases, industrial application, organic chemistry (plus review trends in the periodic table learned earlier)

Skills

To improve research skills, notetaking skills, presentation skills, memory skills. To improve her abililty to interpret graphs and diagrams, and her ability to use appropriate chemical terminology in oral discussions and presentations.

Lab skills

To use lab equipment, to accurately measure, to design tables and graph, to identify errors, to problem solve, to draw conclusions, to tidy up.

(at this stage there are no goals for improving textbook reading skills, this might come later as she gains confidence and the desire to push forward)

Plan (5 day plan, but please adjust as needed)

Monday and Wednesday

Step 1. Your dd sits with you for 30 minutes (or more) with new section of a textbook. You read the material outloud and then discuss it with her. You and she study the diagrams, interpret the tables, look at the pictures. You direct her as to what is the important information. She keeps a notebook and during this 30 minute time writes down the new chemical reactions and important lists (e.g. industrial uses, 3 types of reactions involving alkali metals, etc). You orally quiz her to make sure she is retaining the information. She reviews the notes from previous days.

Step 2. She goes to the computer and look up all reactions or concepts in youtube and watch them. She keeps a bookmark page of all the good videos she finds and rewatches the good ones as desired. You ask her every lesson if she can visualize xxx reaction that she watched yesterday or last week. If she cannot, she rewatches that video. After the systematic work, you allow her to follow some of the fun links and watch lots of explosions etc.

Tuesday and Thursday

She does lab work. It would be great if this corresponded to the material she is learning from the textbook, but it does not have to. Often, when you finally get to the material in the textbook, a lab you have done weeks before makes better sense and you get the ah ha moment.

Friday

She works on her presentation. This can be either a power point presentation or a poster. You type while she narrates, and she picks photos or diagrams to put in. Depending on if she wants a short presentation or a long one would determine if she does one every 2 weeks or one every month. You work with her to practice her presentation skills and get her to use appropriate terminology. She then presents to her dad when he is available.

Output

Notes, formal presentation materials, and the formal presentation (you could video tape if you want a record).

Evaluation

Daily: you will be sitting there with her and can tailor the speed and level of the material by seeing what she can handle.

Formal: the presentations are an awesome way for her to show off her knowledge. I would NOT grade them.

Resources

Visual

Periodic table of videos (on internet)

Modern Marvels (there are quite a few on chemistry)

BBC Chemistry: a volitle history (and excellent 3 part series on the history of chemistry)

Youtube

Nonfiction Book

The Elements by Gray (she can use this to look up industrial uses of all the elements)

Lab materials

You have quite a few already, but could augment with Spectrum or something else if desired.

Textbooks

This will need other's input. I am just going to give you some ideas. You need a high school textbook without a lot of text or math, but with more diagrams and images.

1) IGCSE Chemistry by Gallager and Ingram. Here is the google doc preview . http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=VDglvQK1SZAC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false I have seen this book and felt that it had very little text and lots of diagrams instead. It has 2 chapters on quantitative chemistry that you could skip, if desired. It has a good amount of industrial uses in addition to theoretical material. I am happy to answer questions about the syllabus (IGCSE) as we are using it but with a different author (our textbook has lots of text). This curriculum has a standard and extended material, so you can just skip the extended material as it is more advanced.

2) Carbon Chemistry by Ellen McHenry. I have not seen it, but if it is anything like The Elements, it will have lots of hands on activities which your daughter enjoys.

3) Spectrum Chemistry is a systematic introduction to chemistry designed around labs. It does have a quantitative element to it, but I don't know how much. I know it is considered excellent and has very little text compared to any other program. The question is whether you can adapt it to a middle schooler. You will need advice on this as I don't know how difficult the material is. http://beginningspublishing.com/version2/spectrum.htm

I am sure there are other options for word-lite chemistry textbooks, I just don't know them.

Well, that's it. Please think through it all and tell me what won't work, and I'll adjust it.

Ruth in NZ

What a great thread! I think that it would now be really helpful to sit down with myself and have such a deep dialogue with myself about goals, resources, input, output and so on. Ideally for every course! Just wanted to say that I really learned a lot here. Thanks to both of you.

(Ruth, I certainly do not want to hijack the thread, but I AM wondering which IGCSE text you are using. I am looking to purchase some IGCSE books in the near future, just so I can see where we are headed. DS11 is not yet ready for them.)

What does IGCSE stand for, by the way? I'm having a hard time with the link Ruth provided (my mac, not her link, is the issue, lol)

What a great thread! I think that it would now be really helpful to sit down with myself and have such a deep dialogue with myself about goals, resources, input, output and so on. Ideally for every course! Just wanted to say that I really learned a lot here. Thanks to both of you.

(Ruth, I certainly do not want to hijack the thread, but I AM wondering which IGCSE text you are using. I am looking to purchase some IGCSE books in the near future, just so I can see where we are headed. DS11 is not yet ready for them.)

I know nothing about the GCSE, but here in Denmark the local international school teaches the IGCSE curriculum and administers the exams at the end of Year 10. Danish Year 10 does not really correspond with American 9th or 10th grade, but for simplicity's sake call it approximate. This particular international school uses Cambridge International Science for the elementary and middle years until it begins an earnest IGCSE study program.

IGCSE is a curriculum with a syllabus. You can read about the program and download each syllabus here. But there are a bunch of different IGCSE textbooks for any give course. Like Ruth said, some are more text-heavy than others.

If we stay in Denmark long enough, my son (currently in 6th grade), I would send my son to the IB program here and he would need some sort of exam as an entrance qualification. IGCSE exams are just one option for him, and I am trying to think ahead - they might not be the right option.

One of my concerns with IGCSE science is its specificity. For example, IGCSE Biology texts teach that the seven characteristics of living things are: Movement, Respiration, Sensitivity, Growth, Reproduction, Excretion and Nutrition. This is THE RIGHT ANSWER. Well, CPO science teaches that there are five characteristics of living things using these keywords: Response, Growth, Reproduction, Energy and Cells.

I don't want to debate that science here. I just want to point out the IGCSE makes me feel like I would have to always have one eye on the test, right from 6th grade. Hence the desire to at least pick up the books now - in case we go that route.

Edited by Penguin

IGCSE is just a syllabus - a list of material that needs to be learned. Then different authors write textbooks to pad out and explain the material in the syllabus. Here in NZ, my son will do the CIE (Cambridge International Exams) for university entrance instead of APs or SAT2s. Obviously, your dd would not take the CIE exams. I'm just talking about using the textbook as a guide to her studies.

The reason I suggested the text I did is that I was trying to think of all the chemistry textbooks I have ever seen in person or on the internet, and then choose the one that contained the least text but still explained complex material. Thus, the suggestion of Gallagher and Ingram. But really, Chemistry is Chemistry. Sure, any introductory textbook will have a slightly different focus -- there is definitely more industrial uses and organic chemistry in Gallagher and Ingram than in the high school textbook that I used as a child. But I find the IGCSE syllabus for chemistry to be well balanced, interesting, and in depth (I know nothing about the biology syllabus). I also like that the OP can do the core material and exclude the extended material as an easy way to work with a high school book in middle school. The OP's daughter does not have to worry about the "right" answer for the exam, and I have found no bias or sense of pressure in the text. I really like all the reactions that you can look up on youtube, we have had lots of fun watching them. I also like that they are not randomly chosen. Individual reactions are examples of a point the author is trying to make, so they help you to understand the theoretical concepts you are trying to master. Works well for us.

Sorry about the link. Just google "IGCSE Chemistry Gallagher and Ingram" and I found it on google books where you can view 3 chapters. The first 2 chapters are a bit basic (your dd probably knows most of the material) and the 3rd chapter is quantitative (which you would probably skip), so not the best chapters for you to view. sorry. But if you are able to view the book you can see what I mean about explaining with diagrams and graphs rather than text. I went online to look at Conceptual Chemistry also, and boy does it have a LOT of text.

Penguin: we are using IGCSE Chemistry by Harwood and Lodge. I am pleased with it. But it does have a lot of text!

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

I think it looks wonderful and we will try this new sequence starting Monday. I love how you incorporated her love of art (easily incorporated into the once a month presentation).

Glad you like it. In my experience, if you can use your child's strengths, she will become motivated to learn. Obviously, you have to shore up weaknesses, but not everyday or in every subject.

I'm wondering if I could use the chem chapters from Hewitt's Conceptual Physical Science
I think this is an excellent idea.
I have several college chem texts (courtesy my husband), but only a couple high school level.
You want challenging but realistic. I would avoid using the college level texts for the spine of your study. You could use them for reference or to delve more deeply into a topic, but you really need a spine to systematically introduce her to the topic.
I'll post on the board and ask about Spectrum, but I've heard that it leans young earth (the entire line of materials) and Tony would prefer I steer away from that.
I had no idea that Spectrum was YE. I wonder how you do that with chemistry?
Bonus! I have Gray's "The Elements"! I forgot about that! We had McHenry's Carbon Chem
great. We are currently really enjoying McHenry's The Elements, but it definitely requires a lot of review.

but sidelined it for a bit until she brushes up on the periodic table - the links for online that you gave and the Gray book should help with that!
Don't have her watch all the periodic table of element videos all at once. I would recommend watching them down the table in groups, rather than across in order of proton number. Then, she will be able to see the patterns. For example, review the Alkali metals in McHenry's book, read about them in Gray's book, and watch the videos. Have her predict what she thinks will happen, before she watches the video. Bigger explosion, smaller explosion. What color does she thing the element should be? Is she right? Does she expect it to be soft or hard? etc. Make her think, before watching the videos. And when she begs for more videos, hold them back like a carrot. "Let's watch the Halogen videos after we read gray's book." Or "Ok, just one more, but then we are going to wait until tomorrow, and savour them." Kind of what they do in music videos. They never let you see enough, so you are always left wanting more. :001_smile:

Really, it looks great and I can't wait to start with it. She's going to have such a good time! Thanks so much Ruth.
Glad to help.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

How in the world do you know about these book? How do you figure out what you need? We've mainly done just textbooks.. Is there a big list somewhere?

Well, I have read the board for many years and have an interest in science, so have kind of kept up with what is out there.

Each year when I am starting my planning, I search the board or post a request for a list of resources on xxx topic. People often have the good threads bookmarked so that they can just refer you. I also go to my library and see what they have (we have a big library).

I look for and keep a list of:

textbooks

curriculum (McHenry's The Elements is a curriculum not a textbook)

Lab materials

Non-fiction books

Living books/Biographies

Documentaries

Lecture series (often from TTC)

You won't find every category for each age group. For example, there is no good middle school or even high school lecture series in chemistry. There are some, but most people don't like them. Also, there are no chemistry textbooks for elementary -- there are curriculum and non-fiction books, but no textbooks.

Once, I see what is out there, I then start thinking about what I want for my kid to learn. For the younger my goals are about exposure, memory, attitude, and learning to read nonfiction. So I want something fun, interesting, and varied in both activities and content. McHenry's Elements is perfect for the first 3 goals, and then we check out chemistry books from the library for him to read on his own. (A Drop of Water is a good example). He also enjoys watching little video clips which make chemistry come alive, and then our science investigation at the end of the year is our major hands on component.

My goals for my older son are more about learning to take notes and studying from a textbook. And the lab goals are quite varied (see http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showpost.php?p=4318987&postcount=4 ). But I also want him to read some biographies and play the games in my younger boy's curriculum to keep it fun. I have to mix and match the materials to meet my goals. If you want I can write up my entire plan for my older son to give you a contrast to what I designed for Aimee's dd who is of similar age.

Your goals inform the resources you choose to use. And I am NOT a slave to any curriculum. I make it work for us; rather than having us work for it.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

Can I thank both of you once again?! This thread has clarified so much for me. Our resources and topics (although we are finishing up The Elements) don't match up exactly with AimeeM's, but I still have drawn so, so much from here! I needed a workable structure for my ideas, and I think this one is golden:)

I'm going to use Ruth's plan:

Monday and Wednesday - work on the text together & watch the videos

Tuesday and Thursday - lab work

Friday- work on a presentation

I love the idea of using science to build up the presentation and notetaking skills. We have 45 minutes to an hour per day for science. Sometimes we take 1/2 day field trips on Thursdays, but that is not every week. AimeeM, how much time do you think you will slot for science?

And have you thought about the type of notebook you will use? Loose paper in a binder? Bound book with graph paper? I always feel like science notes should be in a bound book to facilitate proper research technique. Yet there is something about a bound book that adds pressure to "do it right," and I don't want that to happen. And I am really overthinking this, I am sure :)

Edited by Penguin

Autumn usually slots her science for an hour (or two) every day. Using Ruth's schedule, I imagine text/video days will be an hour, lab days will be about 2 hours, and probably another 2 hours every friday to work on her presentation (if only because every other friday we are committed to co-op, so she won't be able to do it every friday).

Right now I have her science notebook in a three ring binder on loose leaf. I'm not sure *why* but she HATES the bound composition books and she prefers college ruled paper, lol. I hadn't thought of graph paper. My husband has a ton of blank, bound, composition type notebooks of graph paper... hmmm... :D

Can I thank both of you once again?! This thread has clarified so much for me. Our resources and topics (although we are finishing up The Elements) don't match up exactly with AimeeM's, but I still have drawn so, so much from here! I needed a workable structure for my ideas, and I think this one is golden:)

I'm going to use Ruth's plan:

Monday and Wednesday - work on the text together & watch the videos

Tuesday and Thursday - lab work

Friday- work on a presentation

I love the idea of using science to build up the presentation and notetaking skills. We have 45 minutes to an hour per day for science. Sometimes we take 1/2 day field trips on Thursdays, but that is not every week. AimeeM, how much time do you think you will slot for science?

And have you thought about the type of notebook you will use? Loose paper in a binder? Bound book with graph paper? I always feel like science notes should be in a bound book to facilitate proper research technique. Yet there is something about a bound book that adds pressure to "do it right," and I don't want that to happen. And I am really overthinking this, I am sure :)