Menu

Write Shop Junior; Has anyone used this?

kaymom

I am wondering if anyone out there has used this curriculum. I am looking for a creative writing type curriculum for my 4th grade son. We've been doing WWE but am now looking to add creative writing since he enjoys it so much (and gets bored with the WWE format). I've downloaded the sample and it looks good, but can't figure out why this curriculum is SO expensive. Will I need the teacher's book and student book or can I get away with just the teacher's book?

Thanks for your help!

We have Writeshop Primary and although I found it to be a solid program, we didn't love doing it. There was just a lot of steps and folders and 'extras" that just annoyed both myself and DD. We are using BJU English 3 in conjunction with Writing Strands this year and we are both MUCH happier.

I have Writing Strands, but for some reason I just don't like it that much. We haven't used it yet. It seems like it is missing some steps. Maybe it's just me. My son is a natural writer, and I do think that some of the steps in Write Shop would be overkill. But I do like the assignments and some of the breakdown for doing them. I think I especially like the idea of self editing. We don't need the grammar though. We are using Rod and Staff and that's enough.

I'd be curious to see what other say in regards to using Writeshop with a natural writer. My DD has struggled a bit with all aspects of reading and writing, so we're probably talking apples and oranges for what will work best for curriculum between us. I bought Writeshop because it broke the process down and I thought that would be helpful for her. However, the creative leaps were too much for her. We may or may not try it again later on...

That being said, as a natural writer myself, I grew annoyed with the graphic organizers, plot planners, 5 w's, etc. For me, if I am going to write, the idea is there and it tends to grow forwards, backwards and sideways. Planners frustrate me and quelch my creativity. If I were to use it with a natural writer I think I would take the writing idea, but tweak it to make it more free-form and then add in the editing and publishing ideas and have the child identify the parts of the writing AFTER it was written as opposed to breaking it apart before hand and then trying to piece it together...and after doing all this I would probably change my mind about whether or not Writeshop was worth the cost.

I think we'll do the free download assignment and skip some of the games/extra stuff and see how it goes. I can see how it might be frustrating for a natural writer, but honestly I just think I need the structure to figure out how to teach the lessons. I like the structure of WWE, and I love the concept behind it, but doing it alone with my creative writer is difficult.

We use WriteShop A and C for K and 2nd grade. I think it is a good program for developing kids live of writing - much more inviting than WWE, IMO. It is adaptable within each level to varying skill levels. There are as someone mentioned some extra folders/files/etc that I don't find essential in that specific format but beneficial all tge same (eg we don't have a picture/topic index file for writing ideas because kids are full of ideas and we can just look to a recent magazine or book if needed). I am planning to continue and wish that the Junior would have been available last year to my then 4th grader.

You need both teacher book and student packet (teacher book does not have copy of things in student packet).

Maybe we'll just look into Wordsmtih Apprentice. It's so much cheaper and I'm just looking to supplement our WWE program with some more creative stuff. Opinions? I just liked the format of Write Shop Junior program but I have a feeling it wouldn't be worth the money for us unless I could find it used.

I've been thinking about WriteShop as well; looks like a great program. We are currently using Wordsmith Apprentice and it seems to be going well.

I also just bought a used copy of Writer's Jungle. You may want to look into that. I'm reading through it right now and am pretty excited about the ideas and methods it presents. Rather than being "just another writing program" produced by educators, this is a method written by a writer for writers and writing instructors (ie homeschool moms). Not sure I can really explain well how it works, but you may find it to be a better fit for your natural writer.

It's spendy brand-new, but it's also something that can be used indefinitely, and it's not a workbook so the same copy is good for the whole family. The following page has a pretty good chapter-by-chapter description. I'd suggest taking the time to read it.

http://www.bravewriter.com/program/home-study-courses/the-writers-jungle/