Menu

Need help with assessing DD's writing

AliR

DD is 10, and has language problems, diagnosed with CAPD. Here is what she took 10 minutes to write in a free writing exercise today.

Terry is a tortoise. His shell protect from pretitor. He move slowly because he can't rush hiself. He live in a desert to be warm. H is a reptile because he is coldblooded. I think he's my favorite animal.

The only help I gave was the spelling of tortoise. Her printing is very readable although immature.

Would anyone be able to tell me how she is doing? We have been doing lots of structured work and handholding, but this was the first time she has written independently with virtually no help.

I thought there may be someone here who has travelled the same path.

Thanks

Yes traveling the same road as you. My dtr is 11 and her writing is much the same. I was told to keep modeling good language, help with the editing, syntax and spelling. The white board is our friend. My dtr gets alot of her thoughts out on the white board. It is easier to correct and condense. Then she copies it onto paper.

I supplement with Diana Hansbury King's Writing Skills books. My dtr also is dyspraxic.

HTH

Also on the same road...looks about the same I was getting from my dd a year ago (she's almost 12). She has improved a lot in the last year. I would say if its her first time writing independently give her LOTS of kudos!!! There is a lot of content there! Structurally, its a a great paragraph. Yes, there's lots of grammar errors...but who cares!! She wrote it by herself!! Ignore the grammar in this...look at content only and concentrate on grammar on something else, and let her know how proud you are of a whole paragraph!!

I think it is a very good first independent writing! Positives: she stayed on topic, capitalized correctly, included relevant details about the tortoise, and it is obvious that she had background knowledge with which to support her writing.

Of course, you'll later move to joining sentences, using interesting adjectives, etc., but I'd say to give your dd lots of positive feedback.

I teach students with LDs in the age range 11-14, and I see similar errors with verb tenses (especially with those with language difficulties). I also see sentences just abruptly stopped (with a word such as "an"), get off topic, etc. So, from my point of view, your dd did a great job :)

VinNY, I'm very interested in Diana Hansbury King's Writing book. Let us know how you like it, please.

DD is 10, and has language problems, diagnosed with CAPD. Here is what she took 10 minutes to write in a free writing exercise today.

Terry is a tortoise. His shell protect from pretitor. He move slowly because he can't rush hiself. He live in a desert to be warm. H is a reptile because he is coldblooded. I think he's my favorite animal.

The only help I gave was the spelling of tortoise. Her printing is very readable although immature.

Would anyone be able to tell me how she is doing? We have been doing lots of structured work and handholding, but this was the first time she has written independently with virtually no help.

I thought there may be someone here who has travelled the same path.

Thanks

I could be wrong but... if she's someone with language processing problems, that looks pretty good for 10 minutes worth of work with virtually no help.

I also see why you'd be concerned about her mistakes, so I'll ask the next question. Did she read back through her writing to look for mistakes? If so, did she catch any of her errors or did she think it was fine as it is?

I'd say if you haven't already taught her how to self-edit by re-reading through her work, then that's the next step.

Thank you so much for your input. It is hard to find anyone who understands what we are going through. If she reads back to herself immediately then she can't find mistakes so I left it for a while. I had DD revisit her paragraph today and do her own revisions - this is the result.

Terry is a tortoise. His shell protects him from predators. He moves slowly because he can't rush himself. He lives in a desert to be warm because he's a coldblooded reptile. I think he is my favorite animal.

I helped her with the spelling of predator, as she knew it wasn't right before but could not work out it had a 'd'.

I am very proud of her, considering how hard she has to work to produce language work!:001_smile:

We have been working with Calvert/Verticy grammar/composition for the last couple years, and this includes the Writing Skills books (wonderful resource for us). Do you have any suggestions for other materials that may work at this level?