Menu

New to WTM. Does this sound good for Language Arts?

Maela

I have a Kindergarten-aged daughter who loves to read. She is not really advanced in writing (more like early first grade level), but reads at a third or fourth grade level. We going through a local charter school that we're loving so far. She's currently using the Houghton-Mifflin second grade reader and practice book. I don't like it.

After reading TWTM and spending some time here at the forums, I came up with this tentative plan for language arts this year:

- Writing With Ease (not sure what level we'd start with, but I'm assuming the first?)

- First Language Lessons (Level 1?)

- For spelling I was thinking of just making word lists using words from the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading (which I already have). We would go over the spelling 'rule' that the words in my made up list follow and then make a notebook page of it. Or maybe just quiz her on the words and work on the ones she gets wrong.

- Reading lots of high-quality books - together and on her own - and discussing them. Notebooking a bit too.

Is this enough? Too much?

I wouldn't start WWE and FLL until first grade. In fact, looking back, I wouldn't do FLL at all until FLL3. Everything in 1 and 2 is in 3 as well. I definitely wouldn't worry about spelling with a K-er. She has plenty of time for academics. Don't rush her. And even if she's "ready" for it or "wants" to do it, I'd wait. Find more hands-on activities to keep yourselves occupied. Read lots of books. Watch educational documentaries. Go outside and draw what you see. Don't rush.

Tara

Thank you everyone for the replies. I really needed some feedback.

I'd focus on handwriting practice even though it isn't language arts. Also, all about spelling would be great.

See I thought that WWE1 had a lot of copywork? So I thought that would be enough for handwriting. Her handwriting is pretty good on the primary lines - especially when she takes her time. She has a hard time making more than one sentence at a time all by herself (thought in her head to sentence on the paper), but I thought WWE1 was mostly copywork and a little dictation. Maybe I misunderstood. And I thought FLL1 was all oral, so I figured it wouldn't be too much for her. Another thing, don't both FLL and WWE have very short lessons - like 10-15 minutes?

Instead of FLL, how about sentence family to introduce her to parts of speech?

I thought FLL was exactly that?

I think that if she wants to do it, it's a great plan. I've been using WWE 1 and FLL 1 with my older son (will be 6 in January) and he hasn't had a problem. He's also a much better reader than writer, but he had already completed Handwriting Without Tears 1 when we started WWE. My younger son (5 in December) is ready for WWE and FLL, but has no interest, so I'm holding off until next fall.

WWE does have a lot of copywork, which might be enough handwriting for some kids, but we've kept up with HWT 2 days per week. The lessons for WWE and FLL are very, very short. Some days, FLL is closer to 5 minutes, but 10-15 for each is about right.

I think that if she wants to do it, it's a great plan. I've been using WWE 1 and FLL 1 with my older son (will be 6 in January) and he hasn't had a problem. He's also a much better reader than writer, but he had already completed Handwriting Without Tears 1 when we started WWE. My younger son (5 in December) is ready for WWE and FLL, but has no interest, so I'm holding off until next fall.

WWE does have a lot of copywork, which might be enough handwriting for some kids, but we've kept up with HWT 2 days per week. The lessons for WWE and FLL are very, very short. Some days, FLL is closer to 5 minutes, but 10-15 for each is about right.

Thanks. This is what I was thinking. I could always buy FLL & WWE now, but save it for later if she's not interested.

I know that kindergarten is a time for playing and exploring, but DD has always been ahead of her age in attention span and wanting to sit and learn. At 18 months she was asking me the names of the letters on our fridge. I mentioned to her that they each make a sound, and then she wanted to learn all those. By three she was sounding out CVC words and by four asking us to spell words for her to figure out. She really enjoys this stuff.

Edited by Maela
Trying to explain myself more clearly