Menu

Proud Biology Mama-- his first slide :)

I know this is not exactly rocket science, and kids have been making this slide since before my grandmother was even an idea, but the biologist in me was very proud of DS11's first slide (we've been HS for about two years, and this is our first go-round with biology)

It is ye olde onione skine stained with eosin. Nothing fancy in the image-- just my digital point and shoot jammed up against the eyepiece and handheld, trying not to get too bad of a glare from the slide.

post-27475-13535087704561_thumb.jpg

post-27475-13535087704561_thumb.jpg

I know this is not exactly rocket science, and kids have been making this slide since before my grandmother was even an idea, but the biologist in me was very proud of DS11's first slide

This reminds me of a Charlotte Mason quote that has stuck with me for years--

"The flowers, it is true, are not new; but the children are; and it is the fault of their elders if every new flower they come upon is not to them a Picciola, a mystery of beauty to be watched from day to day with unspeakable awe and delight."

I would argue that the same holds true for "ye olde onione skine stained with eosin" ;)

Edited by Hilltop Academy

Thanks for "getting it," ladies!

One of the benefits I get out of homeschooling is getting to see the world through their eyes on a regular basis :). Every time they observe something new like a Euglena, or make a connection such as noticing that Cabot used the similar recruiting tactics for colonists to Canada that Ericksson used, or somebody masters factoring polynomials, you just can't help but see the world as new again.

• 2 weeks later...
This reminds me of a Charlotte Mason quote that has stuck with me for years--

"The flowers, it is true, are not new; but the children are; and it is the fault of their elders if every new flower they come upon is not to them a Picciola, a mystery of beauty to be watched from day to day with unspeakable awe and delight."

I would argue that the same holds true for "ye olde onione skine stained with eosin" ;)

I love this quote.

And the slide is great, too. :001_smile: