Menu

MEP math confusion

faiths13

I am looking at MEP math for my older kids, but I am really confused! Can someone please explain how it works? I see practice books, lesson plans and copy masters. Im guessing the copy masters are just for making copys? And the practice books are for doing exercises, but I don't see answers? And the lesson plans are a bit confusing too... Any help is appreciated, thanks!

You need to print out the practice book-that is essentially the student's only book. You can print out the lesson plans or just read them online from ipad/laptop etc. We are in y1 and so far the copy masters don't really need to be printed. They are often large size reproductions of problems in the workbook and are not necessary for 1 on 1 use. I'm not totally sure if this is true later. The student workbook is sized to uk paper so you ned to check the box that says "do not scale" when you print the workbook. It will cut off the page number but that hasn't been a problem for us. Just do 1 page/day or you could number every other page yourself if you wish. I print off the lesson plans shrunk down to 2/page double sided so I have 4 lesson plans per sheet. Sometimes we view the posters on the ipad. You will probably want a small whiteboard available some days or perhaps some scratch paper handy instead. I don't think you need to print the answer key. If there is a question you can view it online.

I think the copy masters are the things the teacher is supposed to put up on the whiteboard, for the kids to do problems at the board. I've never printed them out: usually it's something I can sketch out on our whiteboard, but sometimes I just call it up on my monitor and DD can point to it.

The Practice Book is what you need to print out for the students. I used to do a page at a time, but recently I printed them all out and bound it into a workbook at Office Max.

The Practice Book Answers should be the answers... I think they have the answers for every level after Reception.

The Teacher Guide can either be printed out, or read off of your computer or tablet. I've done it both ways. I recently printed out the teacher's book and had it bound too so I could take notes in the margins of things to remember when I do it with my younger kids, but so far I haven't made a single note, so I'm not sure that was worth it... it is nice to just carry around the two books and just flip to the page I need.

There are 175 lessons per year, divided into two semesters, so you can just print off one semester at a time and go from there.

We started MEP in yr6 this year. I print the practice book pages for my son to use. He also has an exercise book for the parts of the lesson than are not on the worksheets (usually 2-3 questions at the beginning of the lesson - don't skip these: they are really valuable, but they involve you teaching). I read the lesson plans on the laptop while we work. The answers to the older levels are in the lesson plans.

I really like this program. I'm not sure my son is that keen (too much thinking for his liking) but he can see his maths improving. Because we have started at yr6, there are gaps in his knowledge. When we come across them (ie negative numbers), we back-track to earlier years and do the teaching sections of those lessons. I aim to finish year 6 by the end of term 3 next year (year 7 for DS), leaving us a term to cover anything in the Australian curriculum that we may have missed and do some revision. This should leave us ready to start yr 9 of MEP and have us on par with the Aust curriculum, which moves a bit faster than the US.

Danielle