Menu

Are pattern blocks totally necessary?

ItoLina

We use McRuffy color math k. I also do some education unboxed with c-rods a couple times a week. Both my son and I really enjoy both. However, my son really dislikes the lessons in McRuffy where he has to copy the pictures by making them out of pattern blocks. He fights me every time we come to a lesson like that and he has told me he doesn't like to do it. I don't really get WHY, but he just has decided he doesn't like that activity. I am tempted to just skip that part of the lesson when we come to it, but since math is my insecure subject to teach, I want to make sure there isn't some important thing that he should be getting from this. Also, he doesn't seem to have a hard time doing it once I get him going, he just doesn't want to do it.

Thanks!

It's visual-spatial thinking and some basic shape stuff. There are other ways to cover it. And there are kids who find it really difficult. My dh could probably do your K ones, but he can't do tricky ones at all because he has some learning issue with visualizing them.

What's the real problem - that it's boring, that it's tedious, that it's too easy, that it's too hard...?

It's visual-spatial thinking and some basic shape stuff. There are other ways to cover it. And there are kids who find it really difficult. My dh could probably do your K ones, but he can't do tricky ones at all because he has some learning issue with visualizing them.

What's the real problem - that it's boring, that it's tedious, that it's too easy, that it's too hard...?

I think he just doesn't want to sit and take the time to do it. It doesn't seem too hard because once he focuses on it he can do it. He will actually usually do the first one fine but they usually have 4 on a page and he is over it after that first one and doesn't want to do the other 3.

Instead of having him copy their patterns, how about if you ask him to make a pattern, and then you will try to copy HIS design?

Or just drop the whole thing. Pattern blocks are fun but totally optional. If he's not having fun with it, find something else to do.

:iagree: This is what I was going to suggest. Ds5.5 and I take turns, one person making a copy, then the other. We also do it with wood building blocks, copying more 3D structures. It's a lot of fun. :001_smile:

Instead of having him copy their patterns, how about if you ask him to make a pattern, and then you will try to copy HIS design?

Or just drop the whole thing. Pattern blocks are fun but totally optional. If he's not having fun with it, find something else to do.

I am definitely going to try this today. I have a feeling it will go over WAY better.

Thanks for all the replies. Having him take turns with me, copying eachother's designs yesterday, was a lot better. They still are not his favorite thing to do though. I think I am going to just do less of them and let us take turns copying our designs. He loves the game Color Code, which I sort of feel is building a similar skill, so I think it is ok.

Thanks again for the reassurance :001_smile:

If your son has built up a dislike for pattern blocks, maybe switch to a different manipulative like Tangrams or Legos (copying each other's patterns) for a while so he's getting the same skills without feeling like you're making him do something he doesn't like. I've always heard the spatial/geometry skills that kids get from pattern blocks is really valuable, so maybe it's something you don't want to skip.