Menu

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions (math help wanted)

ChicoryChick

My youngest child will be starting first (my chance to start fresh) )grade next fall and I am undecided what to use with math. I have an idea of what I am looking for but have not found the curriculum that fits it. Here is a little background of what I have used.

Shiller Math - (used 1 year, 1st grade with my oldest) pros: scriptedm uses manipulatives, kids loved it. Cons: drove me crazy because it jumped around

R&S Math (used 1 year, 2nd grad with oldest). I loved it, very methodical, great info in TM, Cons: DD hated it to the point of tears

Math U See (used 4 years with oldest, 1-2 years with other children) Loved the visual, worked with my oldest who is an auditory learner because she could just listen to Mr. Demme. It was a great foundation for my VSL (which I didn't know then) up until multidigit multiplication.

Singapore Math (used 2 years with dd2, used 4 years with DC3 - my math kid who can handle whatever curric I throw at him, 4 years with DC4) Love the TB and WB, hate the HIG (did I mention I love scripted)and that there are so many books to make full curric

RightStart Math E (used 1 year with DC2 VSL) helped her get back on track with math, hate the TM crowded and no color.

math Mammoth (used a couple of months as a supplement with DC2) pages to crowded, can't remember why else I didn't like. But I need visually uncluttered.

Teaching Textbooks (used 1 year with oldest am currently using sucessfully with all of them)

As you can see I do like methodical, scripted with manipulatived, asian style math (although TT is not Asian) IOW the FLL of math (love PHP products)

I want to give my son a great foundation in math. I, myself, do well with math. I am just not q good teacher w/o some hand holding. I want something I can teach the first for years before turning him over to a more independent program. The closest I have come to finding my ideal curricukum appears to be McRuffy math but am unsure if it has the mental and conceptual approach that I like about Asian math. I would consider Miquon if it was laid out nicwly. I am planning on getting DC5 some C-Rods for Christmas. He does like to play with the Abacus and pattern blocks we have.

Is there a curric that fits the bill that I am overlooking or am I just hopefill-wishing.

Thanks if you made it this far. Sorry about any typos - big fingers on a little phone keyboard :)

As you can see I do like methodical, scripted with manipulatived, asian style math (although TT is not Asian) IOW the FLL of math (love PHP products)

I want to give my son a great foundation in math. I, myself, do well with math. I am just not q good teacher w/o some hand holding.

I'd say this is Right Start, except that you said you already tried it and didn't find it a good "fit".

You sound a bit like me......tried a huge amount of math programs over the years.

Hmmm......well, if I can't suggest anything you've already tried....how about Math in Focus. It seems like you liked Singapore but not the HIG, so MiF would eliminate that problem. In the younger levels, you don't even need the TE (which is the priciest part). There are also a lot of books (like extra practice, enrichment, etc)....you don't need 'em. You'd just need the 2 student text books (nonconsumable so you can resell those) and the 2 workbooks; A and B. Any manipulatives they suggest I would assume you probably already have.

Another idea would be McRuffy...only that only goes up through 4th. But, then again...by then you could switch to TT.

Although the TM for Miquon isn't laid out nicely I think the workbooks are. If you don't want to use them topically, you could just work through them straight. That is what I did with my oldest.

Although I do think Miquon works better in partnership with another program---MEP or even Singapore possibly.

Either way the c-rods are amazing!!!

I totally hear you about trying so many math curriculums and needing the children in fairly independant one in time. We used at least 5 here on our 3 children (one has graduated) until we found Teaching Textbooks and they were old enough for that.

If I had it to do over again, I would start out in Kindergarten and first grade again the same way: very hands on with manipulatives such as coins, shells, felt board pieces, math bears and rods and make it fun along with the Rod & Staff texts. I would do that as they are dry, but get the job done quite well. Then I would put them in TT. It is expensive, but so worth it. My daughters are both independant in it and only have a few times during each year that they need further explanation from me or my husband.

Wishing you all things good there in your home school!

I totally hear you about trying so many math curriculums and needing the children in fairly independant one in time. We used at least 5 here on our 3 children (one has graduated) until we found Teaching Textbooks and they were old enough for that.

If I had it to do over again, I would start out in Kindergarten and first grade again the same way: very hands on with manipulatives such as coins, shells, felt board pieces, math bears and rods and make it fun along with the Rod & Staff texts. I would do that as they are dry, but get the job done quite well. Then I would put them in TT. It is expensive, but so worth it. My daughters are both independant in it and only have a few times during each year that they need further explanation from me or my husband.

Wishing you all things good there in your home school!

thank you all for your responses (still open to more) (sorry for some reason quoting is the only way I can reply). I didn't realize the McGuffy jumped around so much, whileI like a little more variety than MUS, I definitely don't like jumping around. (That is probably another reason why I didn't care for RS). I did think of using R&S with manipulatives but for some reason I am not at peace about it. I don't know why.

If you are looking for a strong foundation, I would take another look at R&S. Since all children are individuals with their own preferences, your youngest may take well to it. Both of my sons use R&S, and I feel that it has given them the tools to excel at higher maths due to the foundation it laid/is laying for them. My DS11 finished R&S 6 in the late spring and has transitioned seamlessly into Lial Prealgebra. I know that the R&S Scope & Sequence may look behind compared to others programs, but pushing algebraic concepts on a young child is useless unless that child has a strong foundation in the basics.

How about checking out Bob Jones Math? They have recently redone all the levels and they are quite challenging.

Heather

I have never really looked at BJU, so that might be an option if it is not similar to Saxon. For some reason just looking at Saxon gives me a headache.

R&S is still in the running. I am not worried about S&S as long as they get and hopefully like math. I am no longer in PA so I don't have to worry about testing anyway.

I am also considering LOF but possibly as a supplement. (that is one in my past that I forgot to mention)

I have bought and sold RightStart A 2X now. I am just not feeling the love. I did do RS E with my DC2 last year and it was OK, it definitely fit her learning style despite her complaints. I can't exactly figure out why I don't like it because I know it sounds like what I want and I do have the game book and DVD as well as the transitional book which I keep for extra explanations.

I found a book at a used book sale today for .25 called "An Introduction to Cuisenaire Rods" which has inspired me to just use those and other math manips. that I have along with R&S and today I am becoming more comfortable with that idea (tomorrow who knows). "I thought I was indecisive, but now I am not so sure". ;)

Edited by kayinpa

I have bought and sold RightStart A 2X now.

:lol::lol::lol:

FWIW - I feel the same way. I think RS is great and I like the idea of it, but I can't make myself use it.

I own A & B, I wish I would have just bought the Game book and the Actvities for the AL Abacus book.

Have you watched the videos at Education Unboxed? Rosie has great ideas for how to use Cuisenaire rods, the abacus, and other manipulatives.

:lol::lol::lol:

FWIW - I feel the same way. I think RS is great and I like the idea of it, but I can't make myself use it.

I own A & B, I wish I would have just bought the Game book and the Actvities for the AL Abacus

Have you watched the videos at Education Unboxed? Rosie has great ideas for how to use Cuisenaire rods, the abacus, and other manipulatives.

:lol:

I have tried, but unable to view them on my phone for some reason (I don't know why since I can view youtube videos) but have been wanting to view them :) My phine is currently my only internet.

:lol:

I have tried, but unable to view them on my phone for some reason (I don't know why since I can view youtube videos) but have been wanting to view them :) My phine is currently my only internet.

iphone?

She uses vimeo and there is a free vimeo app in the app store.

Let me throw Professor B into your mix! It is "asianish" in it's approach, interactive, DVD style. Always keeps my kids interest. I made word documents for all the charts, and have ordered the manipulatives he likes to use in connection with his teaching (from RR). They are basically base ten blocks. I bought RS twice, and just really dislike her organization of the material. And except for the beginning, I really don't feel it is strongly asian in approach. (ducking!) I like Prof B because the way he teaches makes sense to me. Very logical. You could subscribe monthly to see if you like it without committing to buying the program. Oh, and Prof B is mastery for sure. No spiral there.

Good luck in your search! I've been round the block a few times myself. It's a bit maddening! :)

:iagree:

Yeah, if you like scripted, and you like more Asian-style math (as compared to American-style procedural math), then MEP might be an attractive option. And it's free. It's a British national program that, like Singapore, puts greater emphasis on learning addition of 1-10 backwards and forward rather than learning to add 84+23 but not grasping how much either of those numbers really is. MEP is usually affectionately nicknamed "Challenge Math" for its use of problems that stretch kids' minds.

Of course, as with anything, some people don't like it. But since you're on the curriculum hunt right now, take some time to check it out. It's scripted, it provides a strong foundation, and it's FREE... :001_smile:

Thanks again for the suggestions. I have looked into both Professor B and MEP in the past. Online math is not an option, Mep, I dont mind printing it out just wish is was all in 1 PDF file, still keeping it as an option though.

Singapore TM is a little more than I want pay but could watch for it used.