Menu

Questions Re eBay Packaging/Shipping/Charges Etiquette

Here's the set-up to my question:

--an eBay seller lists all his items as Free Shipping

--the buyer purchases two or more items at one time

--the buyer pays, in separate payments, for said purchases

--the shipping addresses for buyer are all the same

Here are the questions:

--should the seller package both (or all) the items together?

--should the seller package each item separately, since they were paid for separately?

--should the seller contact the buyer and determine whether buyer wants them mailed separately or together?

--other?

Finally, if the buyer waits for an invoice, should the seller, if packing all items together, offer reduced shipping charges, or a discount in total price, even though the ad says Free Shipping?

TIA!

this is just my opinion but I would expect items purchased from the same seller to be shipped together especially if the postage is free ....well paid by the sender.

If shipping is free then there would be no reason to offer reduced shipping charges right? I mean you cannot reduce free.

The only thing that would irritate me is if I paid for shipping on each item separately (seller didn't reduce charge) but then shipped together. I guess some buyers prefer things together, and some prefer separate.

Btw Amazon has held orders for DAYS (like, five) in order to combine shipping with a preordered book. I complained and they were nice about it.

this is just my opinion but I would expect items purchased from the same seller to be shipped together especially if the postage is free ....well paid by the sender.

If shipping is free then there would be no reason to offer reduced shipping charges right? I mean you cannot reduce free.

:iagree:

This is what makes sense to me, too . . .

I sell on Ebay and in situations like that I have always packaged the items together. I did however, have one buyer who was bothered and felt that I should have not shipped the items together. After that I began sending a quick message to the buyer to ask their preference.

This is part of what I was wondering - if the buyer pays separately, does that mean he wants separate packaging. And, does he want extra mail asking his preference?

The only thing that would irritate me is if I paid for shipping on each item separately (seller didn't reduce charge) but then shipped together. I guess some buyers prefer things together, and some prefer separate.

So, as long as it is listed as free shipping, then shipping together is okay; but, if shipping fees are listed for each item, then combine shipping charges if mailing together???

That makes sense, and I think is what others have said, too. Tell me if I've misunderstood!!!

Thanks everyone!