Menu

Grammar Gurus - can you explain this?

DH's German colleague has a question, and I don't have a proper, precise explanation for him.

In hotels, he often sees signs that say, "Did you forget your [toothbrush, etc]?

He wants to know why it is not, "Did you forgot your [etc]?"

I gave him my explanation, but not sure it was adequate, or properly articulated.

Can you state this simply and appropriately for him?

Thanks!

Tell him that after "do " (including does, did) the infinitive of the verb is required.

His problem may be that the construction of a similar sentence is different in German; they would construct the same question like "have you forgotten" in which case the verb would not be in the infinitive.

(Show him some similar examples: "did you take" - whereas in German, the only equivalent would be "have you taken"

did you go vs have you gone

etc

Edited by regentrude

Tell him that after "do " (including does, did) the infinitive of the verb is required.

His problem may be that the construction of a similar sentence is different in German; they would construct the same question like "have you forgotten" in which case the verb would not be in the infinitive.

(Show him some similar examples: "did you take" - whereas in German, the only equivalent would be "have you taken"

did you go vs have you gone

etc

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed. I could not articulate the explanation, though I knew it was correct.