Menu

History on ibooks

I haven't been the most ardent supporter of online texts in the past, but I just purchased the Holt McDougal World History: Patterns of Interaction ibook yesterday, and I like it. We were using Bulliet's Earth and It's Peoples for the last three months, but it wasn't working out that well. College/AP history books seem to have a lack of teacher support, no chapter questions, and no tests. While researching, I came across the site http://www.hmheducation.com/history/ibooks.php and decided to try out the sample book. I liked the sample chapter, but I researched teacher support materials first, to make sure I could order the teachers edition, lesson planner, and testing materials on dvd. Then I decided to purchase the whole book. I really like it, but it has one temporary flaw. The update to ios6 on the iPad made the interactive features not work. I made a call to tech support this morning, and they are working on fixing it. The book has short audio lectures, a search function, highlighting and notetaking ability, beautiful pictures, interactive maps, timelines, pictures, and quizzes, and it was only $14.99! If you own an iPad already, this may be a great way to save money on books.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to post an update. We have completed a few chapters in this book, and I am quite pleased with the results. My son was not digesting the material in the Bulliet AP test. He would do fine on the multiple choice, but bomb the essays. I can tell that he understands the content much better, now. I purchased the McDougal Littell Easy Planner, which contains the teacher's edition, resource materials and lesson plans. I bought the version from an earlier edition of this textbook because it was much cheaper, but it seems to correlate with the chapters so far. I print out the worksheets for each section, and they seem to help my son focus on what is important. I also use the historical documents and tests. Also, the latest ibooks update on ipad corrected all the interactive problems we were having. I am actually enjoying reading the book myself. There are a lot of History Channel videos included in the book, and I just was watching one on Genghis Khan that was almost 45 minutes long. Most of the videos are under five minutes, and I didn't realize how long this one was until I had been watching it for awhile. I know most of you are well into the year by now, but I wanted to provide an update for those who are planning for next year.

I'm so glad you took the time to update this! I've sort of been slow to catch onto what technology could do for us. I followed your link to that particular textbook, and I was realizing (duh) there are probably LOTS of textbooks at the apple ibooks store thing! I never even go over there! And yes, this whole methodology of a textbook where you read, touch a picture and things come to life, touch a word and you get the def, touch an essay and it gets read by the character, that's so totally fabulous for some of our kids (I think). I've been wishing BJU had that vision to do that with their textbooks. They're doing something, but it's going in a totally different direction. This ibooks thing I think is just fabulous.

So the one you're using has actual History Channel clips to go with the text?!?! Wowsers, my dd LOVES history channel. That ALONE would be worth the $14 for the text, if it's actually a significant amount of clips, wow.

So I'm so glad you're reminding us of this direction we can go! :)

Hey, I'm back and have a question! Do you have to be connected to wifi (or cell) to use the videos? Or are they in the app and work even when you're say in airplane mode or have the wifi off?

I just figured out they have samples. I have to update my ipad before I can download them. So I'll do that and see what I can find out! :)

Thank you, OhElizabeth! I was not aware that there even were interactive textbooks on iBooks. Definitely worth checking out.

I know, I totally feel like an idiot for not making the connection myself!!! They talked about it at the last apple press conference. You have to have your ipad updated for ibooks and the ios and junk. They were basically giving away the software, because they WANT people to convert textbooks. I'm guessing it seems sort of frivolous to some people, but this kind of interaction can make a big difference for some kids. I'm totally in love with the possibilities here. Can you image our kids with chem texts that are interactive, physics texts that are interactive, etc.? Amazing!

• 6 months later...

never mind -- it wasn't showing up on searches on the ipad for some reason, but when I got to my desktop I found it. Now my biggest concern is whether there will be version or memory problems if I buy it for our older ipad.