Menu

Need advice for a baked item

On Sunday, in Sunday school class, I'm teaching a lesson on "Man looks on the outside, but God looks on the heart." I want to bake something for the snack that illustrates this. It should meet this criteria:

1. I'm a basic baker, no advanced skill and am busy. I should be able to do it.

2. It should look "meh" on the outside, but have something surprising and yummy on the inside

I'm thinking of something like a plain cupcake (muffin, biscuit??) with no icing but then a treat like a Hershey's Kiss or marshmallow or something in the center. I don't want to pipe in icing, cut out a divit from the top and spoon in icing or anything complicated! (Did I say I have no advanced skill and am busy?) But I want the treat to be intact in the center.

Any ideas?

I like surprise s'more cookies for something like this. Basically bake a chocolate cookie, cut large marshmallows in half and press one half on top of each cookie while it is still warm. Frost the cookie with chocolate icing, hiding the marshmallow "surprise".

The treat isn't exactly in the center, but the chocolate cookie + icing look the same, and the marshmallow is definitely hidden inside.

http://www.marthastewart.com/356831/surprise-cookies

Pumpkin Cream Cheese muffins would suit this purpose and they're wonderful and seasonal. I'll attach the recipe I use. You can make it as is. I tend to fiddle with it a bit to make it a little healthier. I've been successful with using 1.5 cups sugar instead of 2 and I replace 1/2 cup of the oil with applesauce. I use whole wheat pastry flour for half of the flour, though it would probably be fine with all ww. And next time I'll probably go for half applesauce, half oil. Anyway, I just made them for dd's soccer team for snack and they all loved them.

http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2011/10/pumpkin-cream-cheese-muffins.html