Menu

Meal help

Dh has been working contract and still is, up until now we have been staying in extended stays with a fridge and stove. That is coming to an end housing and hotels in this area are pretty scarce due to the hurricane that came through this summer and there are lots of other contractors in the area.

I have a crock pot, a cooler, a rice cooker, and can buy an electric skillet. I figure best case scenario, the new hotel will have a microwave and a mini fridge. Dh is gluten free and his jobsite is not close to any restaurants where he could get a quick lunch or breakfast. Any suggestions on how to get by this way for about a month and still eat healthy and not eat out all the time?

You could make him sandwiches with gluten free bread and some dip of some sort (hummus, ranch or the likes) with some chopped vegetables & a fruit. Since it's getting cooler outside I'd easily toss in a nice stew, chili, or soup in the crockpot the night before on low and in the morning pack it into a thermos for his lunch. You can easily purchase some gluten free crackers online or in speciality stores for him to eat with his hot dish. Don't forget a thermos of hot water and a packet of either instant coffee or tea for him to drink. Toss in the seasons best fruit for him to snack on too! :D

I use to dread packing my dh's lunch. But now with our lifestyle change I find it rather uplifting that it's something NEEDED from me. I pack a lunch that I would love to sit down and eat when away from home. So of course I will put in little notes and I even pack his daily multivitamins in his lunch too!

You could make him sandwiches with gluten free bread and some dip of some sort (hummus, ranch or the likes) with some chopped vegetables & a fruit. Since it's getting cooler outside I'd easily toss in a nice stew, chili, or soup in the crockpot the night before on low and in the morning pack it into a thermos for his lunch. You can easily purchase some gluten free crackers online or in speciality stores for him to eat with his hot dish. Don't forget a thermos of hot water and a packet of either instant coffee or tea for him to drink. Toss in the seasons best fruit for him to snack on too! :D

I use to dread packing my dh's lunch. But now with our lifestyle change I find it rather uplifting that it's something NEEDED from me. I pack a lunch that I would love to sit down and eat when away from home. So of course I will put in little notes and I even pack his daily multivitamins in his lunch too!

that's sweet and a nice way to look at it. DH would die of starvation if it weren't for me. Huh, I guess it is kinda uplifting :lol:

What about salads? You can put eggs, meat/cheese to make it like a full meal.

If you have a thermos you can do soups

I'd pack up a big old salad with meat and cheese. A bell pepper and hummus as a snack. Fruit too.

To mix it up, beans and rice, taco meat and veggies plus salsa and corn tortillas.

Also, crockpot some soups- easy to do that GF. I am eating a lot of curried yellow split pea soup this week and it is delish.

I am GF and all of the store bought GF breads are awful except as hot toast with butter or peanut butter IMO. I would steer clear of sandwiches since you can't make your own bread.

I've been doing the salads for lunch for him, the ingredients take up the most room in the fridge now, that is my big concern with that. Also I have been pan frying chicken or steak to put into it. I guess I can still do that in an electric skillet, or if I can find a grocery store that sells some of the gf lunchmeat I could do that. We are still knew to the area and grocery shopping has been at Walmart, because I know where that is.

I will be doing stuff like chili and stews and probably still try to do a roast or something like that now and then.

I guess I am just trying to wrap my head around the idea of having to buy only 1 or 2 days worth of food at a time and cooking with that at least with anything that has to be cold.