Menu

Question about study of Ancient Greece

While planning history this afternoon, I have been reminded once again, that it isn't neat and doesn't fit in to a nice little easy plan. Everything was smooth sailing until I got to Ancient Greece. So a couple of questions: how long, on average have/will you spend on Ancient Greece? I have not only Human Odyssey and SOTW but also Famous Men of Greece. It looks like a great resource, but if we only spend a few weeks on Greece, I just don't see how we will fit it in. I was wondering if we should plan to spend a couple of weeks with our textbooks and then a couple of weeks with the Famous Men book. Is the Famous Men book worth it? I hear it mentioned so often that I bought it (I also bought Famous Men of Rome). Either way I do it we are going to be stopping our study of Ancient Greece midway through for Christmas OR I could just wait until after Christmas to start. What would be a good stopping point if that's what I decide to do? Any and all advice for this rambling post is much appreciated!

I'm so sorry for the bold print!! I cut and pasted this from a facebook post. :tongue_smilie:

I would include some good time with mythology. D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths is a nice intro.

Padraic Column has a couple different books of retellings of mythology. The Golden Fleece The Children's Homer

Rosemary Sutcliff has great retellings of The Iliad (Black Ships Before Troy) and The Odyssey (The Wanderings of Odysseus). I very much prefer the versions with illustrations by Alan Lee.

Jim Weiss has a couple CDs on Greek Myths. Odds Bodkin did one on Odysseus that we enjoyed. (I don't think Odds Bodkin sells much through Amazon anymore.)

Peter Connolly wrote some great non-fiction about Greek culture and civilization. The Ancient City This one on ancient Greece at the time of the Trojan War was very good. It is out of print, but your library might have it. (Connolly also wrote some wonderful books about ancient Rome. I'm not sure why they are out of print.)

Linda Bailey's Good Times Travel Agency has a Greek story. We thought these were fun.

When we studied ancients in the logic stage, I would spend 3-4 weeks following the Sonlight schedule and then 3-6 weeks following WTM methods and reading and doing research.

Don't forget that lots of books that are really great aren't on current curriculum booklists because they've gone out of print. A curriculum that sells schedules AND books is going to have to keep updating their schedule as books are no longer available.

• 3 weeks later...
When we studied ancients in the logic stage, I would spend 3-4 weeks following the Sonlight schedule and then 3-6 weeks following WTM methods and reading and doing research.

Don't forget that lots of books that are really great aren't on current curriculum booklists because they've gone out of print. A curriculum that sells schedules AND books is going to have to keep updating their schedule as books are no longer available.

We don't use Sonlight, so I'm not asking about titles specifically, but I am interested in what a "Sonlight schedule" entails - is it fiction, non-fiction, a mix? I'm envisioning your first 3-4 weeks being immersed in fiction about the time period, along with an overview of factual history. The next 3-6 weeks, I'm thinking, would be delving more deeply into areas of interest, learning/enhancing narration and outlining skills.

When you have time, would you expound on your method?