Menu

Tips to get out of the TOG FOG?

sweetpea3829

We went ahead and ordered the first two units of TOG YR 1.

Boy, when some folks on here were talking about why NOT to buy TOG and mentioned the Fog...I didn't quite get what they were getting at.

But now I do...:001_huh:

Any suggestions on how to quickly move from FOG to sunny skies? I really like the curriculum...it's just so...huge.

For one...how do I access the Loom without the internet? I thought that was accessible through the DE download.

Edited by Sweetpea3829

We went ahead and ordered the first two units of TOG YR 1.

Boy, when some folks on here were talking about why NOT to buy TOG and mentioned the Fog...I didn't quite get what they were getting at.

But now I do...:001_huh:

Any suggestions on how to quickly move from FOG to sunny skies? I really like the curriculum...it's just so...huge.

For one...how do I access the Loom without the internet? I thought that was accessible through the DE download.

Do you have the units yet? The best way I know to emerge from the fog is to get down to what are the essentials you want to cover. Ask yourself some hard questions about what is important b/c there is no way to do everything in a TOG week. If you like and want rabbit trails, then you will have to accept that you will not complete a TOG week in a real life week. If you want a lot of hands on projects, that might eat up time from other subjects. That's not necessarily bad, but you have to know if it's good for you and your Dc.

You have to look at each area of TOG and decide how and if you will cover it. You really have to make sure you are choosing to do what is important for you and your Dc and not just wanting to do everything that looks good---and be realistic about your time.

If you post more specifics about what is making you confused, you'll get more advice.

Do you have the units yet? The best way I know to emerge from the fog is to get down to what are the essentials you want to cover. Ask yourself some hard questions about what is important b/c there is no way to do everything in a TOG week. If you like and want rabbit trails, then you will have to accept that you will not complete a TOG week in a real life week. If you want a lot of hands on projects, that might eat up time from other subjects. That's not necessarily bad, but you have to know if it's good for you and your Dc.

You have to look at each area of TOG and decide how and if you will cover it. You really have to make sure you are choosing to do what is important for you and your Dc and not just wanting to do everything that looks good---and be realistic about your time.

If you post more specifics about what is making you confused, you'll get more advice.

Not so much confused, just overwhelmed, I think. But not in a bad way. Honestly, I wish I had ordered the DE + Print because it's a lot easier for me to flip through a printed version than a DE version.

Tonight I'm sitting down and going through the setup stuff. Writing down what we'll need and how to utilize it and where to find the info on how to utilize it.

I'm excited to get started with it. It looks great! But I definitely get what folks meant by the Fog.

Two specific questions:

How do I access the Loom directly through my DE edition?

I click on Unit 1, scroll to the bottom and click on The Loom. But all it does is change the gray box underneath the Unit Title from the name of the Unit Title to "Loom." I can't click on it from there.

I suppose, if somebody can answer that question, than I can find the answer to my next question...lol. How do I find the vocab glossary and definitions that are supposed to be on the Loom?

I'm excited to get started with it. It looks great! But I definitely get what folks meant by the Fog.

I think one of the best things you can do IS to jump right in and start doing something. Part of the fog can be feeling like you have to have every book lined up (owned or at the library), everything you need for each craft, etc., etc.

You can start reading the books and get going while you are still getting the feel for it and deciding what you do want to cover in depth and what you want to just touch on.

Hang in there.....it does get better! ;)

Two specific questions:

How do I access the Loom directly through my DE edition?

I click on Unit 1, scroll to the bottom and click on The Loom. But all it does is change the gray box underneath the Unit Title from the name of the Unit Title to "Loom." I can't click on it from there.

I suppose, if somebody can answer that question, than I can find the answer to my next question...lol. How do I find the vocab glossary and definitions that are supposed to be on the Loom?

Hello! I also had that problem when I first downloaded my DE edition. For some reason, my Loom was unavailable even though I could access everything else. We discovered that it was a problem with my web browser. I was opening my DE via Google Chrome. I have no idea why, but via Chrome would cut off the Loom. SO, I started opening my DE via Mozilla Firefox and all was in working order.

I don't know if this is your situation or if what I've mentioned above will be your solution, but I hope it helps. :)

you absolutely should be able to access the Loom. Try a different browser or contact them.

My advice--start small. Do only the history core and the literature and then grow from there. I overwhelmed myself last year trying to do it all perfectly. This year I have let go, and I am surprised at how much more we are getting done. You have to realize that TOG all looks great, but you have 12 years to get to it all. Take it easy the first year.

Yes! Thanks Kelly and Tag!!

Now, shouldn't I be able to access the DE without using a web browser? We live rural and frequently have internet outages.

ETA: Ok, I checked to see if everything would still load when the internet is not connected and it does. I'm hoping that means using TOG through Explorer won't result in data usage, because we have limited data here.

Edited by Sweetpea3829

Not so much confused, just overwhelmed, I think. But not in a bad way. Honestly, I wish I had ordered the DE + Print because it's a lot easier for me to flip through a printed version than a DE version.

I have DE only, but I really like being able to flip through, too. So I printed out p.4-7 from each week and stuck them in page protectors. A whole year fits easily in a 3# binder - 2# would probably work. This gives me the reading assignments, student threads, famous people, timeline, vocab, activities and geography at a glance. I think this really kept the fog at bay because I could easily see what I wanted with out wading through EVERYTHING. Then it is easy to open up DE and go directly to whatever more I need.

I have DE only, but I really like being able to flip through, too. So I printed out p.4-7 from each week and stuck them in page protectors. A whole year fits easily in a 3# binder - 2# would probably work. This gives me the reading assignments, student threads, famous people, timeline, vocab, activities and geography at a glance. I think this really kept the fog at bay because I could easily see what I wanted with out wading through EVERYTHING. Then it is easy to open up DE and go directly to whatever more I need.

That's a great idea! I went and printed the entire first week and it was 50 pages long! LOL!

This leads me to my next question for you TOG-experienced parents...

Do you find that your printer lags when you send something to it from TOG's interface? Because when I did print out the first week, it took my printer a very long time. It would send a page, print the page (double-sided) and then pause a considerable time before sending the next page.

I haven't had this issue with anything else I print. I'm using a Brother 2270.

Not so much confused, just overwhelmed, I think. But not in a bad way. Honestly, I wish I had ordered the DE + Print because it's a lot easier for me to flip through a printed version than a DE version. .

You can call TOG and upgrade to the print/DE combo for the price of printing+ sh. You will have to wait for it to come, but it might be simpler for planning during the first year.

The crucial pages in protectors is also what I am doing with DE this year, but I miss the teacher pages, and might just print them off too. :D