Menu

Has anyone used Konos History of the the World for high school?

I do not use it, but there are several families ay my church who do use it, have used it for years, and love it! They get together for a co op once a week. Ifyou have any specific questions I can ask them. I like the looks of it, I just don't do well following someone else's plan. ;)

I do not use it, but there are several families ay my church who do use it, have used it for years, and love it! They get together for a co op once a week. Ifyou have any specific questions I can ask them. I like the looks of it, I just don't do well following someone else's plan. ;)
Thank you. I wonder if you could ask them if they use other English resources aside from the Konos assignments. It seems that Konos recommends to do math and science, and then Konos supplies the rest (unless I've misread it). I just can't imagine not doing anything else as well - like vocab, grammar etc. Thanks :) Anyone else?

Thank you. I wonder if you could ask them if they use other English resources aside from the Konos assignments. It seems that Konos recommends to do math and science, and then Konos supplies the rest (unless I've misread it). I just can't imagine not doing anything else as well - like vocab, grammar etc. Thanks :) Anyone else?

I have a copy of it here. Tomorrow I'll go look through it and tell you what kinds of writing assignments there are, and what is recommended for grammar (if anything; it may be assumed that high school-age children shouldn't need to study grammar). My guess at this point is that vocabulary would be automatically part of the history and literature, not a separate subject.

"Everything that they will do in KONOS alone is a full English credit. There are writing assignments each week. I do use IEW to enrich the writing, teach it properly. If I were already good at writing and know what and how to teach it, I would not supplement. So that depends on her level of writing ability. I think by h/s they should be done with grammar....I do not use Rod and Staff with the h/s....just through elementary. I LOVE the IEW though...highly recommend it...I haven't got through much of it but I have, I really like. The writing assignments included are relevant to what they're studying. So they get that study information PLUS the writing experience." and I know the vocabulary is included as well. Hope this helps.

"Everything that they will do in KONOS alone is a full English credit. There are writing assignments each week. I do use IEW to enrich the writing, teach it properly. If I were already good at writing and know what and how to teach it, I would not supplement. So that depends on her level of writing ability. I think by h/s they should be done with grammar....I do not use Rod and Staff with the h/s....just through elementary. I LOVE the IEW though...highly recommend it...I haven't got through much of it but I have, I really like. The writing assignments included are relevant to what they're studying. So they get that study information PLUS the writing experience." and I know the vocabulary is included as well. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for the information.

I have a copy of it here. Tomorrow I'll go look through it and tell you what kinds of writing assignments there are, and what is recommended for grammar (if anything; it may be assumed that high school-age children shouldn't need to study grammar). My guess at this point is that vocabulary would be automatically part of the history and literature, not a separate subject.

Thanks Ellie. That would be great when you get the chance.

I used the KONOS Ancient World & Medieval World curriculums for my two oldest, when ds was in 9th & 10, and dd was in 7th & 8th (8 & 7 years ago). I'm not using it for my five younger dc, because I'm chosing to do other things with them, not because I think it's bad or anything.

What we liked:

- the Christian emphasis throughout the curriculum.

- the short teaching part of the curriculum that comes at the beginning of each week.

- that the lessons were preplanned.

- the timeline, but I prefer to do a timeline in the middle grades/logic stage.

- the vocabulary.

- the maps, but the mapwork could be time consuming, and I've decided to not make mapwork such a hands-on focus.

- some of the literature selections.

What we didn't like so much:

- the literature selections. I ended up beefing them up a lot with selections recommended by the WTM/WEM.

- Picturesque Tales of Progress. I really wanted to like this book series. I actually read the whole thing out loud to my two oldest when they were in middle school, but still had them read it when they were in 9th and 10th. We prefer something more modern. I'm not sure if the author was a Christian, but if she was she wasn't my flavor.

- the activites. These seemed a little young and/or very time consuming. I guess we're not really into holding Roman feasts and such.

I still have both volumes plus PTP if you're interested... (shameless statement that should be on the FS board, I know...).

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions, I'd be happy dust the cobwebs from my brain and try to answer.

Blessings,

GardenMom