Menu

growl at GED ABE faculty vent vent and growling

vent alert!

In NM, in order to qualify for certain scholarships you must have A. High School Diploma from NM or B. GED from NM

We are home school, and they do not recognize the nifty diploma I made for Square Oaks Academy (our square dining room table home school)

So ................

my 16 year old finished high school to ours and the state requirements (I follow their standards and a few more)

We go to sign up for the test, it was one battle after another.

He is too young!

Don't you have an under age form?

oh yeah (this is after I had to go home and research)

He needs permission from the school superintendent.

He is a home schooler, all he needs is our HS number!

Oh yeah (said with an attitude)

He has to take all the pretests and then take all the classes

What if he scores high enough?

He won't

He did. Missed a total of one question on both test. (he was rather mad at the one he missed too, cause he knew it)

oh well, he still needs to take these classes

Why

cause we get money for it

oh I see

thru the whole time, we kept asking, when is the official test and when is the money due.

I can't tell you that?

I finally went in today, and said why? Is it a national secret? What is your power trip, since you won't tell my son.

OH yeah, the test is Friday and you have to pay today.

TODAY?? you are amazing....luckily we have the cash, and we figured this is how it would be.

Why could you not tell my son?

Because we have procedures.

I asked for her supervisor.

She isn't here.

Well, does she have a name and a phone number so I can contact her?

I have the card, name and number. Will call when I calm down.

During the last month of his "mandatory" classes, the classes have been cancelled with no notice 4 times (he only goes 2x a week)

He was told if he missed 2 classes he would have to start all over. He had to rearrange his work schedule and miss work for cancelled classes!

Growl!!!

Thank you for the opportunity to vent.

The good thing:

This is my first child thru homeschool, he will start college completely paid for and begin apprenticing for Electronics Technology in January 2013. We did it!! It is possible, this gives me great empowerment!

vent alert!

In NM, in order to qualify for certain scholarships you must have A. High School Diploma from NM or B. GED from NM

We are home school, and they do not recognize the nifty diploma I made for Square Oaks Academy (our square dining room table home school)

So ................

my 16 year old finished high school to ours and the state requirements (I follow their standards and a few more)

We go to sign up for the test, it was one battle after another.

He is too young!

Don't you have an under age form?

oh yeah (this is after I had to go home and research)

He needs permission from the school superintendent.

He is a home schooler, all he needs is our HS number!

Oh yeah (said with an attitude)

He has to take all the pretests and then take all the classes

What if he scores high enough?

He won't

He did. Missed a total of one question on both test. (he was rather mad at the one he missed too, cause he knew it)

oh well, he still needs to take these classes

Why

cause we get money for it

oh I see

thru the whole time, we kept asking, when is the official test and when is the money due.

I can't tell you that?

I finally went in today, and said why? Is it a national secret? What is your power trip, since you won't tell my son.

OH yeah, the test is Friday and you have to pay today.

TODAY?? you are amazing....luckily we have the cash, and we figured this is how it would be.

Why could you not tell my son?

Because we have procedures.

I asked for her supervisor.

She isn't here.

Well, does she have a name and a phone number so I can contact her?

I have the card, name and number. Will call when I calm down.

During the last month of his "mandatory" classes, the classes have been cancelled with no notice 4 times (he only goes 2x a week)

He was told if he missed 2 classes he would have to start all over. He had to rearrange his work schedule and miss work for cancelled classes!

Growl!!!

Thank you for the opportunity to vent.

The good thing:

This is my first child thru homeschool, he will start college completely paid for and begin apprenticing for Electronics Technology in January 2013. We did it!! It is possible, this gives me great empowerment!

AFTER he has the GED in hand, document all of the above with names and dates. Then figure out who governs the GED providers. Either they are a private provider with a contract or they are part of the state department of education establishment. Either way, they are accountable to someone. If you can't get DOE interested, then go to your rep in the state legislature with a constituent issue.

(I'm really, really tired of people not being able to do their jobs properly.)

AFTER he has the GED in hand, document all of the above with names and dates. Then figure out who governs the GED providers. Either they are a private provider with a contract or they are part of the state department of education establishment. Either way, they are accountable to someone. If you can't get DOE interested, then go to your rep in the state legislature with a constituent issue.

I would definitely do the bolded. Also, if you're in the mood to challenge this inane rule, you can look up the law regarding admissions to state colleges & uni's, and you will discover that the state legislature specifically prohibits state colleges from requiring a GED for admission from homeschooled kids. If you go visit your state representative with a copy of that law and point out the inconsistency between state colleges being barred from requiring the GED from homeschoolers, while the Lottery Scholarship folks require it, maybe that will inspire someone in the state legislature to fix this idiotic problem! Some alternatives that the Lottery Scholarship folks could use instead of GED scores would be: SAT/ACT scores, SAT subject scores, AP scores, other standardized test scores (Iowa, CAT-5) etc.), etc.

My kids are many years away from applying to college, and we will likely be in another state by then, but on the off chance we're still here and DD is interested in the state uni, you can bet I'll be fighting this!

Jackie