Menu

13th birthday party ideas please

I could really do with some good ideas for a girls 13th birthday party. It needs to be inexpensive, traditional (no walk in the woods, outdoorsy, crafty, etc), and special. I don't want much, do I?:) I would appreciate your ideas. Thanks!

I could really do with some good ideas for a girls 13th birthday party. It needs to be inexpensive, traditional (no walk in the woods, outdoorsy, crafty, etc), and special. I don't want much, do I?:) I would appreciate your ideas. Thanks!

hmm..no not asking for much :tongue_smilie:

I just planned a party and was stressing about how to make it special. When I asked my daughter what made a birthday special to her I was surprised by her answer. That helped me fashion a special celebration for her around what she felt was special. I wound up being a sleepover with her best friend with lots of time together. She wanted a special meal, movie and activity. For her cake she asked for my grandmas key lime cake (too easy to make)

Her idea was a lot less expensive money and time wise than what I had been planning and she was THRILLED!

You could ask your daughter what she thinks of when she thinks of a party. Or what makes a birthday special to her?

EDIT: Sorry that was not really any specific idea....I am all out of those

You could ask your daughter what she thinks of when she thinks of a party. Or what makes a birthday special to her?

I think this is a good plan. Ds2 just went to a friend's bday party and you know what made it special for him? Just having his friends over for pizza and video games. He'd been trying to get them together since the start of summer but they always had to cancel for one reason or another. They finally got together for his bday.

I say get her input. Of course if she says she doesn't know then you're kinda stuck. Maybe suggest a tea party, movie night, bowling, glamour night . . . ?

I wound up being a sleepover with her best friend with lots of time together. She wanted a special meal, movie and activity. For her cake she asked for my grandmas key lime cake (too easy to make)

I think this is a good plan. Ds2 just went to a friend's bday party and you know what made it special for him? Just having his friends over for pizza and video games. He'd been trying to get them together since the start of summer but they always had to cancel for one reason or another. They finally got together for his bday.

I agree on both counts. First, I'd start by asking your daughter what would make the day special for her. And also, many teens (and newly teens) care much more about time with friends than any specific activities.

For his past couple of birthdays, my son has chosen a sleepover with his closest friends. Each time, we've also done something special with them. One year, we took the group to the local sci-fi convention. Last year, we did a theme park day. (Remember, though, that the theme park is free for us, because my husband is an employee.) Honestly, though, I think the time hanging out at the house, eating, playing games and socialiazing, was the big attraction.

The year we took them to the con, the day ended up being shorter than we had anticipated. So, they came home and played board games and had a blast. One of my son's friends had a role-playing game party. His mom arranged for a young adult acquaintance of hers to serve as dungeon master, and the group had a fabulous time playing Dungeons and Dragons all day. All it cost the parents was snacks, ingredients for a home-made cake and some photocopying, and it was one of the best parties my son has attended.

What are your daughter's hobbies and interests? Does she participate in any activities that would be fun to share with a group?

I say get her input. Of course if she says she doesn't know then you're kinda stuck. Maybe suggest a tea party, movie night, bowling, glamour night . . . ?

Many teen girls love to be pampered. You could try pedicures and manicures with special polish. My 15 yr old suggests making their own facials or deodorant. Is she into cosmetics yet? You could have a Mary Kay rep come give the girls makeovers....she could also talk about the appropriate care of skin and how to wear makeup as a teen.....educational and fun. My daughter discovered Pride and Prejudice about this age.....she went to a sleep over where they watched the 3 hour then the 6 hour version...fun for them.