Menu

How long do you keep an open bottle of white wine for cooking?

I cook with wine a lot, the problem is that dh and I only like red wine to drink, so if the recipe calls for white wine it just sits in the fridge forever. I pulled a bottle out of the fridge tonight to make dinner but it occurred to me that it's been in there for probably two months and maybe I shouldn't use it? It smells fine. Would you use it? Also, what do you use for cooking? I know cooking wine lasts longer but it has a lot of sodium and additives.

If it smells fine, I'd say it's fine to use. Do you have one of those little pumps for getting the air out of the bottle before you store it in the fridge? They make it last longer.

We do have those and use them if we don't finish drinking the red wine in one night- I don't know why I hadn't thought of using them to make the white wine for cooking last longer.

I cook with wine a lot, the problem is that dh and I only like red wine to drink, so if the recipe calls for white wine it just sits in the fridge forever.

I do the same. I've started buying 4 packs of small bottles (like these) for cooking.

11e5fbbd797462ea43220e4bdb67b2f3.1280.1280.png

I do the same. I've started buying 4 packs of small bottles (like these) for cooking.

11e5fbbd797462ea43220e4bdb67b2f3.1280.1280.png

Yup, that's what I do. We don't drink white, and I use it SO rarely in cooking that I'd just lose it in the back of the fridge. My mom drinks white wine but is a very light drinker, so she likes that we keep some on hand!