Menu

Cataract surgery info?

My mom's optometrist has been recommending she see a surgeon for a consultation about having cataract surgery for some time and she has finally decided that now is probably the time to do so. She will be talking with the doctor on Monday, but they gave her some literature to read before her appointment and told her she would need to decide "what kind of lens she wanted". She is planning on discussing all the options with the doctor, but she was hoping to get some "real patient" perspective before going in so that she could maybe ask more informed questions.

The doctor she has been referred to is apparently one of the few in the country that is now offering laser cataract surgery. (Not sure if he is just one of a few that does laser or just this certain type of laser surgery though. The literature compared it to Lasik.) She was given literature on new "LifeStyle" lenses that were available if she had the laser surgery versus traditional lenses with the traditional knife surgery. Insurance does not cover the "upgraded" lenses and she would have to pay the difference out-of-pocket, which is a concern, but if it would be significantly better, she would consider it (depending on the cost difference, which she will find out at her appointment).

So have any of you had cataract surgery or had a close loved one who has and can give any input or guidance? I would be especially interested to hear from anyone who knows more about the new laser procedure and/or LifeStyle lenses. TIA!!

Both my mother and MIL have had cataract surgery within the last year, done by different doctors.

MIL did fine, but my mother had some complications (we knew ahead of time that she was at higher risk of complications due to some underlying retinal issues).

Neither doctor really recommended the upgraded lenses. My MIL couldn't afford them, so it wasn't a big decision for her. My mother could have easily afforded the upgrade, but her doctor said the only time he really encouraged them was for people who have hobbies that require excellent vision or for people who really, really hate wearing glasses. In the end she opted for the standard lenses.

Edited to add: I'm not sure what type of surgery either of them had, but they were both offered a choice of lenses.

Edited by Pawz4me

Thanks Anne! Retinal detachment wasn't mentioned at all in the literature she was given, but it wasn't really that in depth. It was more like an overview of their services and product options. Hopefully the doctor will give her more info on specific risks and I will recommend she ask about retinal detachment.

Both my mother and MIL have had cataract surgery within the last year, done by different doctors.

MIL did fine, but my mother had some complications (we knew ahead of time that she was at higher risk of complications due to some underlying retinal issues).

Neither doctor really recommended the upgraded lenses. My MIL couldn't afford them, so it wasn't a big decision for her. My mother could have easily afforded the upgrade, but her doctor said the only time he really encouraged them was for people who have hobbies that required excellent vision or for people who really, really hate wearing glasses. In the end she opted for the standard lenses.

That is interesting about the upgraded lenses. My mom wants to be able to read, but doesn't mind wearing glasses; she has worn them for decades so glasses aren't an issue. She just wants to be able to see. She has had horrible night vision for years and now her vision is very poor all the time.

Thanks for the info!