Menu

Tablet VS Ipad for speech delays

Guest Lainy

I recently saw a 20/20 episode that focused on the benefits of using the Ipad as a teaching tool for special needs children. I was wondering, since I'm not made of money, if a regular tablet would serve the same purpose and if the apps available on a regular tablet would be the same. Has anyone used a tablet/Ipad in this manner? I am seriously considering purchasing two of these for Christmas for both of my developmentally disabled daughters. They are five and six and are classified as "Moderately developmentally delayed". I'm not a fan of labels but for background sake that is what the school is calling them. They both have an unidentified brain disease so I would love to do whatever I can on top of their therapies and schooling to help them advance in all area's (speech, motor, and physical therapies). Any advice would be amazing! Thanks :)

Lainy

Lainy, most of the really helpful Apps will only work on an Ipad.

Also the hardware on Ipads is much better than tablets.

As well as the Ipad operating system.

But one common thing between Ipads and tablets, is that they don't bounce when you drop them!

Where given that your daughters are 5 and 6, it might be better to start with tablets, which can be bought for less than a $100. So that it costs less for them to learn that they don't bounce?

So that it might be good to start with tablets as an introduction.

Using Ipads an incentive, that they have earn.

We got an ipad to use with our son. I bought the best case I could afford (the otterbox defender) I would suggest you have the case immediately when you buy the ipad. Yes, the cost can be significant for "just a case" but since it was MOMMY who dropped it in this house not once but twice, it think the case is worth the money.

Here are some other good cases. http://www.autismpluggedin.com/2012/03/6-great-ipad-cases-for-kids-with-autism.html

The I pad and tablet have a lot of differences. The I pad is better because you can buy a rubber cover for it so if you drop it six or five feet it won't do a thing. Another reason why the I pads better is because it has a better life expecanty and better apps and a harddrive. I would get the I pad because it would last a lot longer. The tablet on the other hand is not so good. It does not have very good apps and it does not have a fast and easy harddrive. The tablet is just worse than the I pad so I wouldn't get the tablet. :grouphug: :iagree:

We have 2 iPads in our home. Mine is shared DAILY with the kids. The apps are amazing that we have. I really love how it displays compared to other tablets. I agree with getting a decent cover immediately! Our covers arrived before the iPads...hehe!

We aren't made of money either, but we made sure to save the money and invest in getting dh and myself each our own iPads. We are now saving for the kids to each slowly get their own iPads as well. The possibilities with iPad's are INCREDIBLE. The best TEACHING tool I currently own (right next to the cuisenaire rods of course!).

The iPad has helped my ds3.5 already read SIMPLE words like CAT, HAT, DOG, THE, SIT, MAD, SAD, AM, IS...ect. He loves apps that teach him to use his finger for writing the letters in the alphabet. He loves the apps that teach him to read and then they have him record himself reading the same sentence and he gets to hear himself in playback. My dd's both have games on my iPad they play daily for a little bit that teaches them money as well as helps them with reading, math, geography, and more.

Definitely ipad over tablet. There just aren't as many apps for tablets as for the ipad. And, like eoffg said, the ipad just seems to WORK better. Go to Best Buy and try them for yourself.

Maroo and Gumdrop make good cases. Both have videos on their websites so you can see how they work.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I guess I will go with the Ipad. I suppose I could purchase it for myself and then do one on one teaching with them as opposed to having them each have their own tablet and working with both of them at the same time. I have always bought the higher end toys/learning tools in two's because it helps avoid any fighting. Can you all give me a list of apps that you use that help? Also any other learning tools that you have found helpfull other than the Ipad that may be usefull in helping them to advance would be amazing! I just spoke with both of my daughter's teachers and I'm constantly hearing how well they do in school and how much they talk which is so frustrating because they have very little speach at home. Again, thank you all so much! I'm very excited to have a message board to go to for help like this now. I should have done this year's ago.

We have 2 iPads in our home. Mine is shared DAILY with the kids. The apps are amazing that we have. I really love how it displays compared to other tablets. I agree with getting a decent cover immediately! Our covers arrived before the iPads...hehe!

We aren't made of money either, but we made sure to save the money and invest in getting dh and myself each our own iPads. We are now saving for the kids to each slowly get their own iPads as well. The possibilities with iPad's are INCREDIBLE. The best TEACHING tool I currently own (right next to the cuisenaire rods of course!).

The iPad has helped my ds3.5 already read SIMPLE words like CAT, HAT, DOG, THE, SIT, MAD, SAD, AM, IS...ect. He loves apps that teach him to use his finger for writing the letters in the alphabet. He loves the apps that teach him to read and then they have him record himself reading the same sentence and he gets to hear himself in playback. My dd's both have games on my iPad they play daily for a little bit that teaches them money as well as helps them with reading, math, geography, and more.

What is a "cuisenaire rod"? I have never heard of that before.

In these videos it's the rods she's using to teach.

They are literally AMAZING for teaching!! My SPD dd9 LOVES learning with these!! My bright dd7 enjoys them too and enjoys the challenge of math using them. My ds3 also loves doing his math with them too!

http://www.educationunboxed.com/

And you can watch the videos on the IPAD....