Menu

FLL problems

campmom

I've started FLL 3 with my 2 ds, one of them likes it fine, but the other one 9yrs hated it. I should have known that he would, because he is really needing to do more of his work independently so that he can move at a quicker pace. I know he will love it when we get to the more challenging parts BUT has anyone come up with a way to make this more independent?

I would find the 9 year old a more appropriate program. Is he good at grammar? My son is, and he did FLL3 at age 7. He thought it was easy then, but it was more fun than R&S had been.

We use KISS now (which is free), and it's actually challenging. You might check it out. He could do some of it on his own, though it still requires discussion.

He has never had any formal grammar which is why I bought this in the first place. I think he will really like all of the diagramming,and will benefit from the information. I think I just need a way to let him move through it quickly at his own pace. Do you think it will work for me just to write him some brief directions at the top of his workbook pages and let him go with it?

Well my ds did FLL 3 last year along with his sister simply b/c he hates grammar and it needed to get done. He was bored but he did it happily compared to anything else we had tried. And he learned from the program. So we got grammar done without the whining and something was learned on his part. All good in my opinion.

This year he's being challenged with R&S grammar and the whining is back. It's hard on me daily to deal with it. Grammar has to happen dude!!!

If you have the money get another program if your child wants more challenging grammar. I have found some years it's ok to have an easier program that gets done rather than a challenging program that doesn't. :lol:

I guess that maybe I wasn't quit clear. I'm not looking for more challenging grammar for him, just more independent. For now I would like to use FLL3 because I have it. He just needs to be able to move through it quickly while I go slower with the younger. I think he will really enjoy the diagramming. This morning I went through the next few lessons writing in simple instructions for him. I wrote down the definitions he needed to memorize, and a note if he needed to come talk to me for more instruction. I think this is going to work and he will work through it quickly then maybe we can move on to something else for him. I will look at GWG if it is independent. Who sells it?