Menu

Best for learning Japanese? What about Chinese?

PeacefulChaos

My two boys and I were discussing today what foreign languages they'd like to study in the next couple of years. I'm ok with them picking 2 different ones because I think it'll be more motivating for them to learn it if it's the one they picked.

Link wants to learn Japanese (which is totally unsurprising, as he's been saying that for years) and Astro wants to learn Chinese (which he's also mentioned before).

So what are the best programs out there for them? They would probably be starting them in 5th grade.

Are they learning for academic or for leisure?

The Japanese Language Proficiency Test page gives a nice overview of the testing requirements for each stage of competency for non-native speakers.

Daiso has preschool Japanese workbooks while Kinokuniya has Japanese textbooks and workbooks.

For both languages, it is easier and faster with a tutor.

Are they learning for academic or for leisure?

The Japanese Language Proficiency Test page gives a nice overview of the testing requirements for each stage of competency for non-native speakers.

Daiso has preschool Japanese workbooks while Kinokuniya has Japanese textbooks and workbooks.

For both languages, it is easier and faster with a tutor.

Oh, boy... I highly doubt I can find a tutor for either of them. We live in a rural area/small town and I've run across plenty of spanish tutors but nothing else. :(

How would I find one? Is it likely I'd have to travel to the city? How often?

I ran across this when looking to see if I could find any tutors locally (and I can't - just spanish again) -- are there any reputable online 'tutors/teachers' that teach language?

For chinese, your Astro might enjoy Chinese with Mike on the internet for starters. You can download the pdf that accompanies the youtube lesson to follow along.

While it is not academic, it is fun, free and good for as an introductary course.

For japanese, your Link might enjoy NHK World free japanese lessons. You can download the textbook and the audio files. Link could start with the Japanese Alphabet first.

Edited by Arcadia in CA

Hmm... If you aren't starting until 5th grade, they may change their minds by then. :D

If you want to start now just for fun, our favorite beginner DVDs for Chinese are called Follow Jade. Long term, I would recommend Better Chinese.

Though if you are interested in Chinese, you definitely need a tutor - especially at the beginning when learning tones.

Hmm... If you aren't starting until 5th grade, they may change their minds by then. :D

If you want to start now just for fun, our favorite beginner DVDs for Chinese are called Follow Jade. Long term, I would recommend Better Chinese.

Though if you are interested in Chinese, you definitely need a tutor - especially at the beginning when learning tones.

It's entirely possible Astro will change his mind.

Link, I highly doubt it. :) He's been wanting to do Japanese since he was 5. :D I figure 5th grade isn't too far away for him in particular.