Menu

questions about Chem Advantage AP Chemistry

1. Preparation: For the prerequisite they list "high school level chemistry". Would DIVE Integrated Physics & Chemistry be adequate preparation? (And reading The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry?) If not, what do you recommend?

2. Labs: Could the Landry Chemistry Lab Intensive be done instead of the labs at home? I *really* hate doing labs at home and would love to farm that out if possible. Maybe a combo of the lab intensive and a virtual lab option?

3. This will be for an accelerated student (8th grade) who is younger but will have completed Algebra 2 before the class starts. Has anyone had a younger child attempt this class? My original plan was for him to take AP Biology first but he is not interested in Biology and would prefer to take Chemistry.

3. This will be for an accelerated student (8th grade) who is younger but will have completed Algebra 2 before the class starts. Has anyone had a younger child attempt this class? My original plan was for him to take AP Biology first but he is not interested in Biology and would prefer to take Chemistry.

I think taking Chemistry before AP Biology is a great idea. My oldest took AP Chemistry last year as a freshman. He had taken ChemAdvantage Honors Chemistry in 8th grade. I would email Mr. M. and ask his opinion on your son's chemistry background. Math-wise, your son is in great shape for AP Chem.

The labs for AP Chemistry are very easy to follow. I don't think your son would have any trouble with those, regardless of prior lab experience.

I think taking Chemistry before AP Biology is a great idea. My oldest took AP Chemistry last year as a freshman. He had taken ChemAdvantage Honors Chemistry in 8th grade. I would email Mr. M. and ask his opinion on your son's chemistry background. Math-wise, your son is in great shape for AP Chem.

The labs for AP Chemistry are very easy to follow. I don't think your son would have any trouble with those, regardless of prior lab experience.

Thank you for the suggestion snowbeltmom, and for the encouragement to let him take chem before bio. I did go ahead and email Mr. M; he kindly took a look at the DIVE website and replied (I am paraphrasing) that their IP&C course looks like solid preparation for his AP chem course. I also asked him about using a Landry lab intensive with his course and he said that would work this year but he can't say about next year due to possible coming changes in the AP lab requirements.

I was impressed that he replied to me twice within a day of my email and was very thorough in answering my questions.

My daughter did this last year, and I would not go out of your way to avoid the labs. I did nothing to help her other than sign one lab report that needed an adult's signature. I have no idea what I was signing--it could have been the deed to my house for all I know. If your student gets stuck on a lab (and there are not that many), there are plenty of resources to help--the other students, the chem gnomes (the TAs, essentially--this isn't exactly what they're called, but it's something like that) and the teacher, all are easily accessible. As is true of so many things in life, as long as you start a lab before the day it is due, it will be fine.

Terri

thanks plans, I will try to keep an open mind about the labs. It would save money to buy the equipment and do them at home since I'll likely have two go through that class. Having them done away from my home and completed in two days is very tempting though.

My younger son is doing Apologia general sci right now. This is my second time through and I just. hate. the labs. Right now Labs and Windows Zune software are about equal in my life. Which is to say, I hate them both passionately. So much. I'm not at all a science person to begin with, though I am trying to hide fact that from my children who have gone and turned out to be STEM people. Purely to annoy me I think.