Menu

Do we have any power or race walkers here?

If so, can I get a recommendation for books, websites about getting started? I've decided I'm so not a runner.

I have recently gone from running to race walking only because the person willing to do the Detroit half marathon with me is a walker. I am loving it! I'm not sure if it's the company or the easier exercise, but it's fun! I didn't look in any book or anything, I just walk fast! I average about 12:30 min/mile when I'm alone. When I walk with my partner, we average about 14 min/mile.

Now that I re-read your message I wonder if you meant that you want to do that type of walking you see in the Olympics? If so, scratch what I said. I know there is a form to that and that is not what I do.

I have recently gone from running to race walking only because the person willing to do the Detroit half marathon with me is a walker. I am loving it! I'm not sure if it's the company or the easier exercise, but it's fun! I didn't look in any book or anything, I just walk fast! I average about 12:30 min/mile when I'm alone. When I walk with my partner, we average about 14 min/mile.

Now that I re-read your message I wonder if you meant that you want to do that type of walking you see in the Olympics? If so, scratch what I said. I know there is a form to that and that is not what I do.

Perhaps when I'm 60 I'll be the oldest Olympic athlete doing race walking at Olympic speeds.

For now though, I just want to walk really really fast. I spent a year trying to run. Every single time I did I had some pretty intense leg pain. So much so that I only ran about once or twice a week. It was not doing me any good.

Today I got on the treadmill and did 25 minutes of 4 mph walking. It was great! No pain. I did put the thing on incline 2 which may or may not mean anything to anyone else.

I now have a new goal of getting to 6 mph. I plan to gently increase my speed and the incline over the winter. i might even try to do a 5K in 2013.

Do they have half marathons for power walkers?

ETA: I read on Wiki that Olympic race walkers are getting up to speeds of 9 and 10 mph. I don't ever see that happening with me.

Power walking has been my main (only, really) exercise for many years. I'm not super faithful with it, but when I'm in the game, I love it. I feel so good. I tried running about a year and a half ago, and it was stressful for me, and not fun. I much prefer to get going at a good clip (I aim for 4.5 mph or so; from what I've read, there's not much benefit to going faster than that when it comes to fat loss), walking for 45-60 minutes.

Last year I started including 4-5 one minute sprints in the routine sometimes. This jolt in the heart rate, from what I understand, helps boost the health benefits re: fat loss. I also always aim for walking more than 20 minutes, because FWIU, this is when the fat-burning kicks in.

Don't tell me if I'm wrong, LOL. I love this routine.

When I do it.

Which has been more than a year now.

:glare: