Menu

Is AAR an O.G based program like AAS is?

wy_kid_wrangler04

I have been reading some threads that say AAS and AAR is not true OG?? What does that mean?? I am looking for something to help my 2nd grader. We are at a loss, again, with him :crying:

I don't know why they would say that. From the very first page on the website: "Our All About Reading and All About Spelling programs are complete, comprehensive, and based on the Orton-Gillingham approach and the latest research."

I highly recommend taking the time to watch the webinar Marie did on why 34% of children struggle with learning to read and how to help, I think you'll find it informative and worth your time (if I recall correctly, it's about 45 minutes).

If you want to try AAR, they do have a 1-year "go ahead and try it" guarantee, so if you use it and it doesn't work for some reason, you can return it.

Merry :-)

We've been doing both programs, and well, both are OG as far as I can tell, they are ideal for us :).

I don't know why they would say that. From the very first page on the website: "Our All About Reading and All About Spelling programs are complete, comprehensive, and based on the Orton-Gillingham approach and the latest research."

I highly recommend taking the time to watch the webinar Marie did on why 34% of children struggle with learning to read and how to help, I think you'll find it informative and worth your time (if I recall correctly, it's about 45 minutes).

If you want to try AAR, they do have a 1-year "go ahead and try it" guarantee, so if you use it and it doesn't work for some reason, you can return it.

Merry :-)

Thanks! I think I will give it a try. Ds needs something. What we are doing isn't that thing.

Would this be to much for a struggling (I mean STRUGGLING) 2nd grader??

I'm not an expert and haven't used it but more than one week. But, on the back cover of the teacher's manual it says it's ideal for struggling readers, struggling spellers, and people with dyslexia. I have a teen who really struggles with spelling and I will be starting it with him this week. I know this isn't much information on what you asked. Maybe start another thread asking this for those using it longer than me, or poke around at the website. Or both. :001_smile:

We're happily using aar because it's scripted, fun, and doesn't require writing from my young student. For an older kid capable of writing you have a lot of options for og or spalding. AAR is one that is open and go with lots of interactive stuff but idk if it'd be my first choice for an older kid since there are so many less expensive options. A couple cheaper og programs to check out; spell to write and read, sound beginnings, logic of english, dancing bears, opgtr to name a few but I'm sure there are many I'm missing.

Oh, you were probably just asking about aar and already aware of the others, nm the list then.

Edited by Syllieann