Menu

Must read book for fifth grade girl?

happypamama

My fifth grader loved the Narnia books, a Little Princess, Heidi, Pippi Longstocking, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, and the entire Nancy Drew series - the old ones. Oh, and Little House.

Okay, except for Nancy Drew, she's read all of those (well, she's read at least the first Pippi book and some of the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books), plus The Secret Garden. I know her brothers listened to the first Nancy Drew book on CD and liked it; I'm not sure if DD did or not. She doesn't seem inclined to read mysteries (the horror! I love mysteries!), but I figure she probably ought to at least know who Nancy Drew is. I'm looking for the "you should know these from a cultural literacy standpoint" books.

Caddie Woodlawn is going on the to-read list. :)

Mine is currently reading and loving Eight Cousins, by Louisa May Alcott.

Oh, good, that one she would probably like. She started Little Women but hit some boring parts and didn't finish it. I didn't push that one, because I had thought she was a little young to appreciate it anyway -- she could read it and understand it, but I think she's a little young to appreciate the themes of young adulthood. I haven't read Eight Cousins (or if I have, it's been decades), but maybe that would appeal to her. Oh, and I want to read Five Little Peppers too, to see if maybe that would be good for her.

There are too many books to list every book to that point, I think.

But a few that would be good fifth grade books if you haven't yet done them yet might be...

Island of the Blue Dolphins

The Midwife's Apprentice

A Wrinkle in Time

Walk Two Moons

Harriet the Spy

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

Little Women

Tom Saywer

A Christmas Carol

I also think 5th and 6th grade can be a nice time to come back to books you probably read as read alouds and do them as independent reads, like The Secret Garden or Charlotte's Web or Alice in Wonderland.

There are too many books to list every book to that point, I think.

But a few that would be good fifth grade books if you haven't yet done them yet might be...

Island of the Blue Dolphins

The Midwife's Apprentice

A Wrinkle in Time

Walk Two Moons

Harriet the Spy

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

Little Women

Tom Saywer

A Christmas Carol

I also think 5th and 6th grade can be a nice time to come back to books you probably read as read alouds and do them as independent reads, like The Secret Garden or Charlotte's Web or Alice in Wonderland.

Yes, good point; she has reread some of the read alouds and has enjoyed that.

Thanks for that list -- she's not read all of them, so I'm adding them to the list to check out. :)