Menu

Choosing IEW for Gr 2 and Gr 5

NicoleJ

Hello! Can anyone help me choose? I have a Gr 2'er and a Gr 5'er (and a K'er) next year and I'd like to try IEW with my two older children. My 5'er has ability but reluctance to write and my 2'er has interest but not ability (yet) :) Which package/product would you think we should choose for our very first IEW year? I'd like to teach them together if I can. Thanks for your help! :)

I would personally wait a year for the grade 2 child. It's recommended for grade 3+, and a lot of people think it's better to do it in grade 4+. We're doing fine with it in grade 3, but if the grade 2 child doesn't have the ability to write multiple sentences at one time, I think you'd be better off waiting for that child.

SWI-A could be used for the 5th grader and then again the next year with the 3rd grader. Or you could just do TWSS and use it across curriculum with both kids. You could choose much shorter passages for the 2nd grader. You might have to have each kid working in a different unit at some point though. The 5th grader should be able to move forward to new units quicker than a 2nd grader.

Teaching them a skill subject like this together doesn't sound like something I would want to do. It's much easier to combine in content subjects.

I am using IEW's "All Things Fun and Fascinating" and loving it. I have a 2nd and 3rd grader. It is a slower, gentler introduction to IEW's writing process, yet still challenging. When you buy the book, you get a free download to the Teacher's Manual, which has a vocabulary component, as well as a free download for the Student Resource Notebook which you will use all the way through the entire IEW program.

Definitely worth checking out!

Hi :)

I think you want SWI-A, older will get plenty out of it and it would be easy to lighten it up for the younger. The other option would be to use WWE 2 as a gentle year for the younger before starting IEW with them. I've got both. Lets catch up and have a chat about it, and you can have a look see if you like :)