Menu

Do I NEED the Teachers Guide for SM1

MamaCoop04

So I tried out SM1 for my 1st grade boy on recommendations of a friend. She said all I needed was the Text and Workbook. So at a convention, I bought both, seeing nothing there to supplement. Now, I see from all of you that there is a teacher's guide. Do I really need it? Will it add to the lessons? We just sort of talk about and do all the adding we need to do. What am I missing out on??? Thanks!

Guest KillerBeesMom

I find the HIG (Home Instructor's Guide) to be useful. It explains things the SM way and offers extra activities/ideas to reinforce the topic at hand. We're just starting 2A but we didn't even open the textbook for 1B so I didn't bother buying it this time around, just the HIG and workbook.

I'm only a few weeks in to SM1. I would not be able to do it well without the HIG, especially as I'd never been introduced to number bonds. I would much rather do without the textbook, which so far seems to be little more than a full color version of the workbook. Maybe that will change as we get deeper.

I'm only a few weeks in to SM1. I would not be able to do it well without the HIG, especially as I'd never been introduced to number bonds. I would much rather do without the textbook, which so far seems to be little more than a full color version of the workbook. Maybe that will change as we get deeper.

:iagree:

I use the HIG ALOT. The TB she likes to look at but I havent founf it useful. We use the HIG, WB, IP and I use the extra practice as review/test for retension.

I use the HIG a lot. The Singapore method is laid out in the HIG. The textbook is not that much different from a traditional math text. So while it can be taught without the HIG, it may not be taught the "Singapore way" unless you are well versed in that method.

In the upper levels, I especially use the HIG and barely use the textbook. Sometimes the HIG teaches something that isn't even mentioned in the textbook. I mostly need the textbook because the problems often aren't restated in the HIG. To the PP not using the textbook, I'd definitely recommend using it for grades 4 and up, as it has the practice sections (good practice for working problems on your own paper from a textbook, as you get closer to prealgebra stage), and the review sections are more challenging than the ones in the workbook. Lower grades don't have those practice sections. Also, since the HIG doesn't restate the textbook problems, it's harder to teach from the HIG without the textbook at those levels. I do wish they'd put the problems in the HIG. It'd make it easier to teach without having to go look at his textbook before writing on the board.

I use the HIG a lot. The Singapore method is laid out in the HIG. The textbook is not that much different from a traditional math text. So while it can be taught without the HIG, it may not be taught the "Singapore way" unless you are well versed in that method.

In the upper levels, I especially use the HIG and barely use the textbook. Sometimes the HIG teaches something that isn't even mentioned in the textbook. I mostly need the textbook because the problems often aren't restated in the HIG. To the PP not using the textbook, I'd definitely recommend using it for grades 4 and up, as it has the practice sections (good practice for working problems on your own paper from a textbook, as you get closer to prealgebra stage), and the review sections are more challenging than the ones in the workbook. Lower grades don't have those practice sections. Also, since the HIG doesn't restate the textbook problems, it's harder to teach from the HIG without the textbook at those levels. I do wish they'd put the problems in the HIG. It'd make it easier to teach without having to go look at his textbook before writing on the board.

In treads like these I'm just going to follow Boscopup around with :iagree:. No need to type out a long reply :D.

:iagree: a lot!

We are in 1A and :iagree::iagree:

I like the HIG -- it gives ideas for games you can play (with a deck of cards, etc) that further reinforce the lessons. My DD really likes that! Also I think the HIG aids in teaching the SM way: Concrete > Visual > Abstract (I think I said those right). The concrete is the hands-on learning done with manipulatives as laid-out in the guide.

Wow, thanks! I had no idea. Now off to find one

You might also like the Education Unboxed videos. I was just watching one again today about Mental Math Addition to 20. She demonstrates the same way as SM, using an egg carton and a 10 frame. She also shows how to use cuisenaire rods and an abacus.

http://www.educationunboxed.com/addition_and_subtraction_to_20.html