Menu

Switch to HDTV or not?

So we have an analog TV with rabbit ears. No cable. I am the only one who watches anything on it..usually the news late at night. Dh occassionally watches a ballgame. I am really considering NOT getting the converter box. We could still watch DVD's. Am I nuts? Will I miss the news? I already listen to WAY tooo much talk radio so I guess I can get my news there.

Should we have a "no more TV party" on February 17, 2009?

So we have an analog TV with rabbit ears. No cable. I am the only one who watches anything on it..usually the news late at night. Dh occassionally watches a ballgame. I am really considering NOT getting the converter box. We could still watch DVD's. Am I nuts? Will I miss the news? I already listen to WAY tooo much talk radio so I guess I can get my news there.

We made the jump to HD content about a year ago, and I'm hooked. DH and I sat in shock the first night, not believing how GOOD everything looked! Now when we watch something like Big Brother that's not in hd, it looks awful.

Of course, your question is more about whether you should get the box in order to keep watching tv - and my comment on that would be "why not?" It's not expensive, and you don't have to go out and buy a new tv if you're not interested in doing so. I guess I'm a bit of a tv addict, lol, but I wouldn't want to be stuck with dvds and with watching television shows online. For others it's probably easier to just give it all up - but one of my joys in life is hiding in my bedroom at night while the kids play _ make some popcorn, turn on the tv, and fire up my laptop - heaven!

One can certainly live w/o tv. We did for many years & now we still only watch occasional PBS nature & Monsterpiece (Masterpiece) theater type stuff. My dh was able to get a gadget to get HDtv on his Apple computer & that works great for recording & watching the above. I must say, HD is very nice to view. Your dh might enjoy seeing the ballgames in this mode. Other than those things, I get my weather & news from radio or computer. Jacqui

We lived here for about five years with no TV to speak of -- we had a TV and the rabbit ears and on a good day we *might* get one station. We didn't miss anything. As long as the neighbors let us know when the tornadoes were coming, we were in good shape. :D

I am really considering NOT getting the converter box. We could still watch DVD's. Am I nuts? Will I miss the news?
This is how we're set up. I do not miss TV news. The content to jaw ratio is astonishingly low, perhaps nonexistent for the local stations. Eventually we'll get HDTV, but only after our current set (still going strong after 18 years) gives up the good fight.

We lived here for about five years with no TV to speak of -- we had a TV and the rabbit ears and on a good day we *might* get one station. We didn't miss anything. As long as the neighbors let us know when the tornadoes were coming, we were in good shape. :D

Oh, yeah, the tornadoes, forgot about that. Maybe a weather radio.

Thanks for the input everyone!