Menu

OSU German - for those at Level III or higher ......

How is your student finding the workload? Is it about the same as II? Is your student enjoying it? I notice the format changes between II and III? Could you please tell me what some of the differences are?

My dd is just finishing up level II and even though I've been happy with her German progression, the time she spends on it is quite a bit (about 45 min per day/5X per week). This year she'd like to concentrate more on some of her other languages without German taking over. I'm thinking of having her at least take a break for a year but then I'd also have to find another way for her to study German. :confused:

Any advice, ladies? Since she's half way through and wants to continue with the language, should I just have her keep going with OSU or should I have her take a break and find something else for this year? :bigear:

We're not at level 3 yet, but 45 min per day to cover both the lesson and review of grammar and vocab sounds doesn't sound excessive.

The average 5 day/week classroom would have 45 - 50 min of classtime plus homework. In college I frequently had 2-3 hours of reading, exercises and writing between each class (3x per week).

If there really is a 10 min / day way of mastering a language, it's eluded me for many years (decades).

If there really is a 10 min / day way of mastering a language, it's eluded me for many years (decades).

:iagree::lol:

Neither are we at level three but . . . you know you're not on a schedule with them, per se. You have more than a scheduled school year to complete the work.

You could do half days instead of complete days and then spend half the time on the subject. You would find that you go much longer in the year, of course, but smaller increments each day. That may be appealing to your daughter.

I think what you'll find if you do that is that there will be some times (spring break, break b/t spring and summer, break b/t summer and fall) that you'll be without a tutor for a couple of weeks but that shouldn't be too bad as such a slow pace. The advantage would be that you would continue with level 3 with the same program w/o getting behind or go through the pains of switching programs.

As I say, we haven't gotten to level 3 yet and we haven't tried this idea but it seems viable.

My daughter dropped OSU German III very early on last year, largely due to the format changes between German II and III. She was busy with her first semester of dual enrollment courses, and her potential colleges only wanted to see 2 years of foreign language (if that), so I let her drop it.

My daughter dropped OSU German III very early on last year, largely due to the format changes between German II and III. She was busy with her first semester of dual enrollment courses, and her potential colleges only wanted to see 2 years of foreign language (if that), so I let her drop it.

Could you tell me what some of those changes were? Did the format changes make it more difficult to complete the lessons?

• 3 weeks later...

Dd doesn't like the book but I read a post by Laura in CA that the text for German IV is better.

The format is filling in worksheets that are less visual than for I and II. But you can see them online when you sign in as a teacher - just go to German III...:001_smile:

HTH,

Joan

Dd doesn't like the book but I read a post by Laura in CA that the text for German IV is better.

The format is filling in worksheets that are less visual than for I and II. But you can see them online when you sign in as a teacher - just go to German III...:001_smile:

HTH,

Joan

Hi Joan! How are you doing? Well, I hope.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately my teacher's password has expired ----- new year, I guess ----- so I am unable to see anything, otherwise I would certainly would have viewed it!

My dd says "hi" to yours! :001_smile:

Hi Joan! How are you doing? Well, I hope.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately my teacher's password has expired ----- new year, I guess ----- so I am unable to see anything, otherwise I would certainly would have viewed it!

My dd says "hi" to yours! :001_smile:

My dd says "hi" back :001_smile:! We're making progress. Hope you're doing well too.

If your dd is still finishing up level II, you should still be able to have access, so I would ask for a new password.

Hope you can still get access,

Joan

My dd says "hi" back :001_smile:! We're making progress. Hope you're doing well too.

If your dd is still finishing up level II, you should still be able to have access, so I would ask for a new password.

Hope you can still get access,

Joan

Yep, we're slowly working through German 1 and were able to get a new instructor password.

• 1 month later...