Menu

PreFab homes? Experiences?

Anyone have experiences with PreFab? I don't know why my first instinct is that these homes are not solid. The pictures look awesome and all but I don't know of anyone who has experience (whether positive or negative) with these types of houses.

Thoughts? :lurk5:

Well - some of the pre-fabs of today are far improved from what they were in the 80's and 90's.

If it is one of the newer, better ones, you may be ok. A newer not better one.... eh. They tend to lose value like a car or RV. No chance of appreciation (except for the land they are on). Some are just not built very well and tend to have some major maintenance issues about 5 years in....

My bil and his family have a prefab home. It was brought in in two pieces and finished on site. It is WELL put together. My brothers cousin who is a contractor says he couldn't have built it any better. They have 2900 sq.ft of gorgeous, finished house. Well insulated. Solidly built. They also had it put on a Styrofoam block basement with in floor heating. I had my home custom built from scratch and I actually struggled a little with being jealous when she had her home come in. She picked out everything, right down to the paint color. They did do a little of the finishing themselves to cut down on the cost. Because it comes in two pieces, it takes a few weeks for things to be put together and finished up after it's been put in place.

My bil and his family have a prefab home. It was brought in in two pieces and finished on site. It is WELL put together. My brothers cousin who is a contractor says he couldn't have built it any better. They have 2900 sq.ft of gorgeous, finished house. Well insulated. Solidly built. They also had it put on a Styrofoam block basement with in floor heating. I had my home custom built from scratch and I actually struggled a little with being jealous when she had her home come in. She picked out everything, right down to the paint color. They did do a little of the finishing themselves to cut down on the cost. Because it comes in two pieces, it takes a few weeks for things to be put together and finished up after it's been put in place.

Sounds like one of the new good ones :)

Well - some of the pre-fabs of today are far improved from what they were in the 80's and 90's.

If it is one of the newer, better ones, you may be ok. A newer not better one.... eh. They tend to lose value like a car or RV. No chance of appreciation (except for the land they are on). Some are just not built very well and tend to have some major maintenance issues about 5 years in....

I realize I should probably just go and tour a company that makes prefabs and ask some questions there but I was wondering why these homes would not appreciate in value. Are they made of inferior stuff?

What I imagined in my head was shoddy-sort of mobile homes or something but some of these pictures look just like "real" homes to me. If we are getting land and building I would like to think we would have something to pass on to our children. But if these are "cheap" and not built to last than I guess it's definitely not the way we want to go.

How long has your bil and family been living there? If it's been a few years have they come across any "darn-wish-we-had-a-"real"-home" moments? Have they had any downside to their purchase?

I'm really amazed at how nice some of these pictures and models look but wonder why, if they are such a great deal and just like constructed homes, why isn't everyone doing it? I also realize you can't always trust a picture.

Thoughts?

My granparents had a Sears and Roebuck house. Those were some great houses! Theirs was much smaller though.

OP- the pre-fabs are better than some so called custom homes. I'd take a pre-fab over a KB home anyday!

eta: just make sure you research the particular company, and talk to people who have used them.