Menu

Did I just buy Beast Academy Guide 3B?

sagira

We've been happily using MM for the past few years, but.. but.. ds loves comics. He tolerates math. He likes a few topics, but he doesn't like to put in much effort. When Beast Academy just came out, I thought to myself, "no, don't even look at it. You are happy with your math curriculum." And I am. So why did I feel compelled to get 3B for ds?

He goes to bed with Tintin comics. I showed him samples of BA and he was showing his little sister excitedly. He's excited. About math. Yeah.

I intend for him just to read the guide (I will buy more if I see he likes it and understands it), no practice. We have enough with MM. Anyone use it this way? Just for fun? Do the kids learn? Oh my, what have I done? :tongue_smilie:

We do the same thing. DS is beyond using it for a full curriculum (he's a little ahead and it won't come out fast enough!), but he LOVES the guidebooks. I haven't bought any of the practice books, because he's not interested and I don't want it to feel like work for him. He has 3A and 3B, and I think I'm getting him 3C and 3D for Christmas. :)

We do the same thing. DS is beyond using it for a full curriculum (he's a little ahead and it won't come out fast enough!), but he LOVES the guidebooks. I haven't bought any of the practice books, because he's not interested and I don't want it to feel like work for him. He has 3A and 3B, and I think I'm getting him 3C and 3D for Christmas. :)

I think i'm getting my Ds a couple for Christmas as well.

We've been happily using MM for the past few years, but.. but.. ds loves comics. He tolerates math. He likes a few topics, but he doesn't like to put in much effort. When Beast Academy just came out, I thought to myself, "no, don't even look at it. You are happy with your math curriculum." And I am. So why did I feel compelled to get 3B for ds?

He goes to bed with Tintin comics. I showed him samples of BA and he was showing his little sister excitedly. He's excited. About math. Yeah.

I intend for him just to read the guide (I will buy more if I see he likes it and understands it), no practice. We have enough with MM. Anyone use it this way? Just for fun? Do the kids learn? Oh my, what have I done? :tongue_smilie:

You did the right thing. :D. Honestly, I have more math books than I care to admit. But the only one that intrigues and excites DD is BA. I have all three, and every week, she looks through the textbooks. There was a delay in releasing 3C and that little piece of news caused her to be on the verge of tears. :001_huh:

You could have just described my my son, who is a Tin Tin fan to the core, re-reading all of his volumes over and over. So, I, too, am still happy with what we have but bought Beast Academy for him to just read on his own, the night it came in the mail he went to sleep with Tin Tin and Beast Academy. To me, it's a "fun" math and something that he will absorb just but reading because it interests him. He likes "stories".

:D

You could have just described my my son, who is a Tin Tin fan to the core, re-reading all of his volumes over and over. So, I, too, am still happy with what we have but bought Beast Academy for him to just read on his own, the night it came in the mail he went to sleep with Tin Tin and Beast Academy. To me, it's a "fun" math and something that he will absorb just but reading because it interests him. He likes "stories".

:D

It's nice to "meet" someone who understands :)

I may have to get him some Tintin books. :) I also just got him his first Calvin and Hobbes book, and he's hooked and begging for more, LOL!! :D

:iagree: DO IT!!!

My girls even have started carrying Tin Tin around everywhere. I might have to get some Calvin and Hobbes. :)

Okay... so, SFM and Sagira... what Tintin books should I start him off with??

(Sorry for the slight hijack, it's.... remotely.... on topic. :D )

http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Tintin-America-Cigars-Pharaoh/dp/0316359408/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347766144&sr=8-1&keywords=tintin+volume+1

These are the ones that we started purchasing, it's hardback but has 3 different comic books in it (there are 8 volumes like this). After he reads them I let him watch the old school seasons of that series. Like this....http://www.amazon.com/The-Adventures-Of-Tintin-Season/dp/B005G5NPG0/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1347766202&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=tintin+season+1

It has all of the comics that he read in that volume. So, we REALLY are Tin Tin people. I think your son would really enjoy them. We sure do (wait I should note, I don't like comic books, I don't get it. :lol: But HE loves them!) And sometimes, that's what matters. :D

http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Tintin-America-Cigars-Pharaoh/dp/0316359408/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347766144&sr=8-1&keywords=tintin+volume+1

These are the ones that we started purchasing, it's hardback but has 3 different comic books in it (there are 8 volumes like this). After he reads them I let him watch the old school seasons of that series. Like this....http://www.amazon.com/The-Adventures-Of-Tintin-Season/dp/B005G5NPG0/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1347766202&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=tintin+season+1

It has all of the comics that he read in that volume. So, we REALLY are Tin Tin people. I think your son would really enjoy them. We sure do (wait I should note, I don't like comic books, I don't get it. :lol: But HE loves them!) And sometimes, that's what matters. :D

I used to be a Tintin fan (actually, Kuifje, I read them in Dutch ;)), and had my mom buy him the first volume, hardback. He LOVES them. He has five volumes so far, and for Christmas I'm planning on getting him Volume 6 - if I can find the consistent hardback edition, solid-colored. I seem to find all of them but 6 :confused:

Ds has his five volumes neatly next to his bed, his prized possessions. He reads them over and over again, lends them to me, and wants to carry them everywhere.

Have fun! I may have to check out Calvin and Hobbes too, never read these. This kid likes Ben 10, too. When he's 12 and older, I'll have to introduce him to Superman comics :)

Now if only I can find Suske en Wiske comics in English.. This traveling brother and sister duo was my absolute favorite growing up.

(Excited for BA to arrive!)

Edited by sagira