Menu

Finishing ETC 1 in K, questions

Mommie_Jen

After a miserable run with OPGTR, DS has hit his stride with ETC. We are finishing book 1 in a few weeks. He is reading the words, just not fluently. He still sounds out every word every time. He is doing well with the format, so we are sticking with it for book 2. But what I don't know is if he is ready to move on to book 2, are they supposed to be reading the CVC words they use fluently?

My options are:

Etc book 2

Continue with BOB books and go through the I See Sam books, then book 2

See if I can find a 1 1/2 practice book

Spend some time working through the games and activities in the TM for a bit

Which would you do? (and why?)

After a miserable run with OPGTR, DS has hit his stride with ETC. We are finishing book 1 in a few weeks. He is reading the words, just not fluently. He still sounds out every word every time. He is doing well with the format, so we are sticking with it for book 2. But what I don't know is if he is ready to move on to book 2, are they supposed to be reading the CVC words they use fluently?

My options are:

Etc book 2

Continue with BOB books and go through the I See Sam books, then book 2

See if I can find a 1 1/2 practice book

Spend some time working through the games and activities in the TM for a bit

Which would you do? (and why?)

What I do is to require that my students develop fluency before moving on to the next step. I think you should wait before starting book 2. So my answer is the work through 1.5, read the first group of BOB books and do some of the games/activities. Just because you do 1.5 now doesn't mean that you'll be using the 1/2 books in the other levels.

Also, you can buy the Starting Comprehension series by the same publishers. Book 1 phonetically (don't use visually) has vowels a and i, Book 2 has a, i o and u and Book 3 uses all of the vowels. If my students don't have any comprehension issues I just have them read the stories outloud to me to increase fluency.

From experience I think that allowing fluency to develop before introducing more complex sounds gives the best foundation.

I would love the Nora Gaydos books, but our library doesn't carry them and we're not in a position to buy them right now. I'm thinking of working through some of the book again on our whiteboard and doing the activities in the TM for a month or so then moving on. I'm on the lookout for a cheap 1 1/2 book in the meantime.