Menu

Is there a reading program like....

Kile529

Is there a reading program like IEW where the teacher is on video explaining things and I just come behind and execute what they say?!? I am failing miserably at teaching my 10 year old struggling reader. I have a special needs child coming behind who I'm sure will be even more difficult. :( It just seems like I haven't been able to get through to my middle ds the last 3 years I've homeschooled....ugh. Please help!!!

**i should mention that at times ds will read great....he just thinks reading is a waste of time and would rather be outside building or working than sitting down reading. :-/

Have you tried Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading? It's not a video, but it's scripted and very easy to use. (I had Office Max chop the binding off and spiral bind it to make it even easier to use). Then I went for the weak spot. I bribed my son with something he wanted very much, a NERF gun. I made a list of all the lesson numbers that were left and each lesson we finished, we crossed off. When he was done with the lessons, he got the NERF gun. I'm not going to bribe him for every book we finish, but that one seemed very important to me. There were days when he did 20 lessons in a row (We had fallen behind on it and his reading ability was far beyond the lesson # we were on. I just wanted to make sure he got through all the rules). Boy was motivated!

So first you say your 10 yo is a struggling reader, and then you say that sometimes he reads great but he'd rather be outside.

What kind of curriculum are you looking for, then? Reading, or literature? or spelling or vocab? if he can read but just doesnt like it? Usually the cure for that is not a curriculum, but finding books he really, really likes. I think there is a website called 'boys read'

Hi - crazy crazy week...youngest had oral surgery...sorry I'm just now posting back.

We started with Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons. We finished that and he didn't really have it. So then I switched to Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. That went okay.... He's rusty right now because we were so busy this summer....but he's one that won't read in front of anyone else. He says he can't read....and gets so flustered with anyone else that he really can't read. I've gone through the boys read site and got him magazine subscriptions and books that are right up his alley....but he still seems to just not be fully getting it. I've called my speech therapy friend at the school to see if they test for dyslexia there and I'm waiting to hear back. It just seems like I'm not getting through or something. I was thinking maybe there was a curriculum out there that someone on video is teaching the reading concepts. I struggled as a kid...late 1st grade I went from not being able to read at all to one morning reading for my teacher as if I had been all along. I just assumed that this would be the case for my son - but he's now 10....a bit older than 1st grade. Really trying not to put a limit and too much pressure (as he's extremely sensitive) but I don't know what else to do. At 10 he SHOULD know how to read....shouldn't he????

It'd be great if I could find a reading program like teaching textbooks for math. ;) I'm guessing there's not one out there like that..........

Have you looked at Master Reader? I think it's perfect for a 10 year old boy who's a struggling reader. It comes with 4 levels - each level has a computer CD and book with short (usually nonfiction) passages. First, your son will play the games on the computer that teach him different reading skills (like how to divide a word into syllables, difficult sounds like "ea", sight word games, etc.) Then, he'll read the story that goes along with the lesson. The stories are excellent in that they are very high interest for boys (topics like: the boy who invented snowboarding, sports stars like Michael Jordan, vampire bats, the Loch Ness monster, the Bermuda Triangle, Komodo dragons, the teen who climbed Mount Everest) and each story's words are based on the computer game for that day. For example, when he learns that the c and g make different sounds, the story for that day will have lots of words like recess, pencil, etc. It's expensive, but well worth it - also you might be able to find it used. http://www.hookedonphonics.com/master-reader-deluxe-edition. ** Also, you can google "hooked on phonics coupon code" and usually find big discounts! HTH!