Menu

Calling Dr. Hive, need you now!

Dd is feeling weird today. She was anxious yesterday, does not seem anxious today. She says she can shake when she's anxious, but today, she's jerking. She can see her hands, fingers, and shoulders twitching. She says she feels like her nerves are turned on and she can feel them tingling on her skin.

She has been taking Nexium for two weeks. Dr. said Nexium can cause anxiety-like issues but it hits within three days. Dr. said call pediatrician to be on the safe side. The pediatrician wants me to bring her in later.

Does anyone have any ideas? This dd has a history of feeling sick often but nothing like this.

Thanks, Jean. :grouphug:

I looked up the side effects, and jerking muscle movements and muscle weakness are listed under the "stop using and call your doctor at once" type of serious side effects. I put a call into the GI's office and the peds office and I'm waiting for a call back.

It looks like it's from a deficiency of magniesium. What do they do for that? Will they do something or just tell us to take a supplement or an epsom salt bath?

Dd is upset because she still wants to go out tonight.:001_huh:

Thanks, Jean. :grouphug:

I looked up the side effects, and jerking muscle movements and muscle weakness are listed under the "stop using and call your doctor at once" type of serious side effects. I put a call into the GI's office and the peds office and I'm waiting for a call back.

It looks like it's from a deficiency of magniesium. What do they do for that? Will they do something or just tell us to take a supplement or an epsom salt bath?

Dd is upset because she still wants to go out tonight.:001_huh:

I was on a diuretic that causes you to lose magnesium too. They just told me to supplement - either orally or with an epsom salt bath or both. If you are at the point of noticeable side effects like that I would do both.

Thanks! How do I know how much epsom salt to put into a bath and for how long to keep her submerged? :tongue_smilie:

The package should tell you how much - I think it is about 2 cups or so. It seems a lot but if you swish it around, it dissolves. I usually sit in there for about 20 min. but I saw somewhere where it said that only 10 min. would work.

Okay....so the GI doesn't think it's related, but she's having me go into the ped for dd to be checked over and is giving them a list of bloodwork for them to order for dd.

Nexium has made such a huge difference for dd. She was supposed to be on it for three months. She's now, obviously, off it, but if her magnesium levels are good, maybe we can try again ??

ETA: The doctor says low magnesium levels are a risk but usually after a much longer time than two weeks.

With so many different types available hopefully there will be another that will work.

How is she doing now?

Thanks, Parrothead.:)

She's about the same. And still asking if she go meet with the homeschool teens.

I saw a doctor in the group I hadn't seen before. He did an extremely thorough neurological exam--better than some neurologists I've seen. He said she seemed neurologically normal, which seemed a little funny because we are headed to a neurologist in a couple of days.

He did seem to understand what dd was feeling as though he felt those things himself. And he was definitely not talking down to us, even if he thought there could be an anxiety element.

We have bloodwork for CBC, metabolic panel, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus...and he added the celiac panel and Lyme tests I asked for because of dd's other issues. Since we're she's having blood drawn anyway, why not?

I guess we'll just see how it goes!

Doctors are not that friendly to something being a mineral deficiency. But acid blockers do deplete magnesium. Make sure the magnesium bloodwork is the RBC one.

I don't think the computer generated lab sheet specifies RBC. ??

Thanks for letting me know about this because I know magnesium makes a huge difference for me even if I've never tested low. It keeps my heart rhythm regular which I only found out accidentally after buying a calcium supplement with magnesium for the first time. It was on sale, so I tried it, and what a difference!

I don't think the computer generated lab sheet specifies RBC. ??

Thanks for letting me know about this because I know magnesium makes a huge difference for me even if I've never tested low. It keeps my heart rhythm regular which I only found out accidentally after buying a calcium supplement with magnesium for the first time. It was on sale, so I tried it, and what a difference!

The problem with testing magnesium levels is that your body works very hard to keep the levels in your blood stream normal. So it will rob magnesium from your muscles and cells where it is also needed. So blood tests don't show the true state of your magnesium levels. There are a lot of conflicting reports out there. I've been doing tons of internet research on magnesium because of my own problems. Many sites will say that a magnesium deficiency is rare but I think that is because it is rare that it will show up in blood tests. From what I understand from research that looks more at symptoms of magnesium deficiency, how much magnesium people are taking in, the availability of magnesium in food etc. that more people are deficient than they realize even if they are not deficient to the point of needing medical intervention.

The problem with testing magnesium levels is that your body works very hard to keep the levels in your blood stream normal. So it will rob magnesium from your muscles and cells where it is also needed. So blood tests don't show the true state of your magnesium levels. There are a lot of conflicting reports out there. I've been doing tons of internet research on magnesium because of my own problems. Many sites will say that a magnesium deficiency is rare but I think that is because it is rare that it will show up in blood tests. From what I understand from research that looks more at symptoms of magnesium deficiency, how much magnesium people are taking in, the availability of magnesium in food etc. that more people are deficient than they realize even if they are not deficient to the point of needing medical intervention.

I don't think it could hurt to supplement dd, and the epsom salt baths seem like a good option. I'm going to wait until I get the bloodwork done so I don't artificially raise them if such a thing is possible. I'm waiting on the bloodwork since she seems to be doing better today and it would have been very hard to get to a lab over the weekend. I may wait until after our neuro visit in case we have to get more blood tests done, so just a couple more days...