Menu

Would you consider CWP as a stand-alone curriculum, along with fact practice?

Halcyon

My younger only wants to do CWP. I can hardly even entice him with Beast Academy. Amd the repitition in MM.....dont get me started. I have him do every other question so i can be certain he understands the concepts but he much, much prefers to do just the CWP.

I am wondering if there is anything wrong with just doing the CWP, plus fact review, for a while. It seems incomplete, but he really doesnt like the other books. To be honest, i think Beast Academy really makes him think, and he can be......(am i allowed to say intellectually lazy re a 7 year old?? :tongue_smilie:)He does need some drill to master his facts, and i used games as much as i can.

Thoughts?

Not long-term (there isn't any explanation like the Singapore TB or the BA guide has), but in the short-term, sure.

:iagree:

It could be more of a long-term thing if you actively taught the material in the tb without the tb. If you did lessons together on the white board, for example, and then assigned CWP, I think that would be more complete.

I would not skip out on mental math, review & practice altogether. Change the way it is done. Then CWP can certainly be the only "workbook" he does.

I think it depends on the child and the way you teach him. My ds started using the IP books only (no text and no workbook) starting at age 7. And he only did the word problems in that book, so really the same thing you are suggesting. It worked for him. Because he adored the word problems, he was willing to work for longer than if he had been doing something he hated (just straight calculation). He usually worked for 1 to 1.5 hours on math daily. He could have done the WB in 20 minutes with the same number of calculations, but he much preferred to have the context and the mental stretching of the problem solving as a way to entice him to do the calculating. I did keep an eye on what he was calculating really slowly for lack of practice, and would occasionally give him 20 fraction problems with varying denominators or extra practice with long division with 2 digits. I told him that he could do only word problems if he was willing to once a month or so do a drill sheet in his weak areas. He never let me teach him because he considered this cheating, so I very quickly got rid of the textbook. I think for most kids, however, you could simple work the first problem of the page together and teach him any algorithms or concepts he did not know. I am using this approach with my younger and it is working well. I am currently drawing quite a few pizzas right now since he is studying fractions.

My older ds is kind of special when it comes to math, so I am certainly not suggesting this approach would work for all children, but it did for mine.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

I think it depends on the child and the way you teach him. My ds started using the IP books only (no text and no workbook) starting at age 7. And he only did the word problems in that book, so really the same thing you are suggesting. It worked for him. Because he adored the word problems, he was willing to work for longer than if he had been doing something he hated (just straight calculation). He usually worked for 1 to 1.5 hours on math daily. He could have done the WB in 20 minutes with the same number of calculations, but he much preferred to have the context and the mental stretching of the problem solving as a way to entice him to do the calculating. I did keep an eye on what he was calculating really slowly for lack of practice, and would occasionally give him 20 fraction problems with varying denominators or extra practice with long division with 2 digits. I told him that he could do only word problems if he was willing to once a month or so do a drill sheet in his weak areas. He never let me teach him because he considered this cheating, so I very quickly got rid of the textbook. I think for most kids, however, you could simple work the first problem of the page together and teach him any algorithms or concepts he did not know. I am using this approach with my younger and it is working well. I am currently drawing quite a few pizzas right now since he is studying fractions.

My older ds is kind of special when it comes to math, so I am certainly not suggesting this approach would work for all children, but it did for mine.

Ruth in NZ

Thank you Ruth. Interesting-thank u for sharing your experience. My son doesnt like me to explain, and as of now, hasnt needed mynhelp with CWP at all. I am going to use this as our spine for now, with fact practice on his weak areas, and throw in time, money etc. Maybe he would like IP, but as i recall from using it with older, it has a lot of non-word problems. He WILL do Beast Academy occasionally, but i think his fact practice needs more work so some problems are hard for him.

I will keep working on mental math too. A part of me suspects i need to move him into MM 4. That's where he placed at the end of last ear, but i was nervous about skipping MM3b so that's where i placed him. I own MM4 so i might give that a whirl.

:iagree:

It could be more of a long-term thing if you actively taught the material in the tb without the tb. If you did lessons together on the white board, for example, and then assigned CWP, I think that would be more complete.

I would not skip out on mental math, review & practice altogether. Change the way it is done. Then CWP can certainly be the only "workbook" he does.

Thanks Paula. We would still do mental math and facts.......thanks for your input.

I wouldn't.

Toss in IP and maybe, but CWP doesn't have work with all arithmetic types. For instance, CWP 5 does have problems involving division of fractions, but there is no practice with just dividing fractions....and you can solve the word problems with alternate methods with bar models, so you wouldn't get enough practice with the concept of dividing fractions.

I will keep working on mental math too. A part of me suspects i need to move him into MM 4. That's where he placed at the end of last ear, but i was nervous about skipping MM3b so that's where i placed him. I own MM4 so i might give that a whirl.

Have you given him the end of year test for grade 3? That should show you any sections you need to work on.

That's how I knew what I could skip. I gave tests if I thought DS knew the material. I was usually correct. :) We skipped the 2B book. We did do 3B. I forget what was in that book though.