Menu

Talk to me about the differences in Apologia's Jr. Notebook vs. Regular notebook

SFM

The Jr. Notebook has coloring pages. The copywork is shorter, and all of the writing lines (for copywork and narration) have the dotted line in the middle. The amount of room for narrations is definitely smaller, and the picture area is larger. The regular notebook has crossword puzzles, which the jr one doesn't have. It does not have coloring pages and has notebook paper kind of lines for writing. HTH!

The Jr. Notebook has coloring pages. The copywork is shorter, and all of the writing lines (for copywork and narration) have the dotted line in the middle. The amount of room for narrations is definitely smaller, and the picture area is larger. The regular notebook has crossword puzzles, which the jr one doesn't have. It does not have coloring pages and has notebook paper kind of lines for writing. HTH!

:iagree: Except that our jr. notebook for astronomy that we are using does have a couple of easy crossword puzzles. Sometimes the writing lines are unreasonably big, there is no way we could fit everything in so we ignore the dotted part and treat it all as regular lines to be able to fit more in.

If you think your ds would miss the coloring pages then get the jr. notebook. They recommend the regular for 3rd and up so you could go either way. From the samples on cbd it looks like the regular journals also include review questions that the jr's do not have, so that might be a reason to go up. Next year for 3rd we will probably stay with a jr. notebook. HTH!

My dd7 is using the Jr. notebook for Anatomy and Physiology, and my ds 11 is using the regular one, and we love them both. All the descriptions the PP said are accurate, but at least with this particular book, I would the Jr. for her again if we had to do it next year. The regular one is quite a bit more work, and the crossword puzzles have about 30 words on them. Just right for my 6th grade boy, but he would have died if I had him doing that at 8.

We are doing the Astronomy study and dd8 (was 7 when we started) uses the Regular notebook and is loving it. Yes, there are more regular lines and more complex vocabulary work but she handles it just fine. I believe it's the child's personality that should determine their readiness for the regular notebook. I have a dd6 who uses the junior notebook and I think she'd be 8 or 9 before I start her in a regular notebook because she isn't geared for that kind of work.

The only things that are the same are the mini-books and the copywork. However, the mini-book templates also have regular lines and most of the time they're only able to write a word or two on each template which is fine for my younger girl because she hates to write.