Menu

Latin or word roots study?

Arcadia

My boys teacher was suggesting they take Latin next school year as they are catching onto the root words without learning any. They are interested in the Greek and Latin roots of the periodic table of elements.

They had taken a year of Powerspeak German online and retention was not there. Now they are taking lessons in German at a german saturday school using Das Neue Deutschmobil.

Would it be better to do a word roots study this year and get Galore Park Latin Prep 1 for next year. Or should I get Minumus: Starting out in Latin for this year for a fun introduction to Latin?

How old are they? From what I've seen/heard about Galore Park, there will be a huge difference between it and Minimus. Personally, if you just want to dabble I'd do Getting Started with Latin this year - it's a nice introduction, inexpensive & straight-forward. Use flashcards & chant the grammar to help with retention.

My boys are turning 7 and 8 in December. The 1st grader was tested at 6th grade instructional level by the teacher few weeks ago. The 3rd grader was tested at 7th grade instructional level in January.

They are okay with wordy textbooks but would prefer those with some pictures.