Menu

Battle Tactics of Alexander and Hannibal?

Saille

I've been having my Logic Stage ds do some of the projects at the ends of the chapters in Suzanne Strauss Art's book, The Story of Ancient Rome. He's very interested in comparing Alexander's battle tactics to Hannibal's, and also in comparing Hannibal's to George S. Patton's. He did a great job at the library yesterday looking up books in the juvenile section, but of course today he's sitting down with them and finding that they're offering general life stories, and not the kind of detail he's looking for. I was kind of hoping this would happen, actually, b/c I think he'd be fascinated by some of the books in adult non-fiction, and it would stretch his reading level. We're headed back today, but if the Hive has any suggestions I could nudge him toward, I'm all ears.

This reminds me of the book, "Bean" by Orson Scott Card. A boy (who has to help save the world from aliens) talks about comparing various battle tactics on ancient generals and explaining how it relates to his current situation of trying to defend earth from aliens and how that means that the only way to do so is....

I highly recommend the series to your soon, for when he is older.

I wonder if any of the Teaching Company lectures would have some interesting segments on Hannibal and Alexander. I know we watched something last year on Greek/Persian battles. Maybe "Battles of the Ancient World." The lecturer had animated diagrams of the movements of the different armies & talked about different variables that affected the strategies and results, like terrain, type of weapons, etc. We were all interested in it.

I'll post it if I can find it, but I'm pretty sure it was TC.

Edited by yvonne