Menu

Kathryn Stout?

edeemarie

Have you used any of her books and what did you like about them? I just received Science Scope the other day and it looks like exactly what I am looking for- a roadmap where I can fill in the details. Are her other books like this? The one I am really interested in right now is the Comprehensive Compositions and maybe the math book. What are your thoughts on her books?

I'm using Natural Speller now and like it very much. I have Comprehensive Comp and I'll be able to give you a better idea once I pull it down and take a good look at it. My initial impression is very good, and I think it will be a good tool to have.

By the way, I just bought Science Scope on your suggestion:D

Beck

Have you used any of her books and what did you like about them? I just received Science Scope the other day and it looks like exactly what I am looking for- a roadmap where I can fill in the details. Are her other books like this? The one I am really interested in right now is the Comprehensive Compositions and maybe the math book. What are your thoughts on her books?

I have and use Natural Speller. I just started using Critical Conditioning, and so far I really like it, too. Her books are best for people who want to have control over their own materials and methods. They are great resources off which you can build whole curricula yourself. For Spelling, I alternate between NS and using the CM method of studied dictation.

If you like Science Scope- you will love Guide to History Plus. I have both. I'm working on collecting the rest. :bigear:

That is good news. I also just recently purchased All Through the Ages and it sounds like between that and History Plus I should be set with history curriculum for a while!

I have and use Natural Speller. I just started using Critical Conditioning, and so far I really like it, too. Her books are best for people who want to have control over their own materials and methods. They are great resources off which you can build whole curricula yourself. For Spelling, I alternate between NS and using the CM method of studied dictation.

Critical Conditioning was one that peaked my interest too. I have used so many boxed curricula that have not worked for us and I think these books are exactly what we need. I can have a scope of what to do but I can add the material we want and like!

I really like her books. I do not go by them exclusively but I do take ideas from each of them for our subjects. To me they are a very good resource. I was lucky and able to find them inexpensively used so I did get them all. I think the one that I will use the least is the math one. . .if you have any specific questions I can look up any info if you want.

When I actually started to use them I didn't like them as much as I'd hoped. I'm really OCD though, so...:tongue_smilie:

It's one of those things, that if it was all I had, and worked at it, would work just fine, but because I COULD I moved on.

I'm realizing now that I do best using curricula written by authors with OCD, themselves. Karen Stout is to healthy to get my love :lol:

When I actually started to use them I didn't like them as much as I'd hoped. I'm really OCD though, so...:tongue_smilie:

It's one of those things, that if it was all I had, and worked at it, would work just fine, but because I COULD I moved on.

I'm realizing now that I do best using curricula written by authors with OCD, themselves. Karen Stout is to healthy to get my love :lol:

I have to ask: Which authors are OCD enough to make the cut?

Maximum Math is awesome. The skills are listed by grade but it also has a description of the skills or a tutorial for you to know what they are.

I have used the Natural Speller and am now using her History as I plan our own history curriculum.

Her books have given me the freedom to do our own thing but not worry about not covering needed skills. This is something that kept me from enjoying the freedom of doing our own thing for many years. With her books I have a map that will get me from here to the end.

I have to ask: Which authors are OCD enough to make the cut?

A LOT of vintage writers were OCD especially the Latin and Greek textbook writers.

I love Machen's Greek for Beginners, 1st edition. OCD to the max.

So often I prefer 1st editions. Too often later editions have been taken over my other authors. Machen's 2nd edition was ruined. Writing Road to Reading was messed up after the the author's death, except the cursive handwriting which has improved.

The later McGuffey's are more OCD than the older ones, though. 1880-1920 was an OCD time. :lol:

How to Tutor is OCD. I'm going to have to take a picture of my copy and use it as my avatar, it's getting so broken in and loved.

Saxon 1st edition was pretty OCD, but since the author's death, is getting more and more normalized.