Menu

Does this curriculum exist???

Debbie in OR

Before I start writing my own, I need to know from you very knowledgable hive-minders if there is a K-12 curriculum that is completely inter-disciplinary. I want something that builds year by year, ties in history with geography with literature with LA with science and somehow math as well (and why not art, too)! I want it not be textbooks and worksheets but based on great literature and reasoning (Socratic) and to be inspiring. I want reasoning from a Biblical worldview to be built into all subjects, not a separate subject. (VERY similar to Principle Approach/NOAH Plan, only even more inter-disciplinary.)

Does this exist? Is it even possible to do this? I don't want to teach the "unrelating" of everything, as John Gatto says. Help.

Hi! I thought your post was very interesting, because I had been looking for the very same thing. I was afraid of my daughter being overcome with workbooks and busywork. I wanted her to be able to find the truth of the Bible and how it relates to the world for herself, not just rehash someone else's thoughts. I think I found what I was looking for in the Charlotte Mason method and Ambleside Online (AO). AO is not just a booklist; you have to study Charlotte Mason's philosophies to implement it correctly. It is a full, rich curriculum based on the Bible and great literature (not to mention challenging). It includes the full span of life -- things we continue to study as adults -- foreign language, music, art, nature, etc. I believe the method inspires children to learn and think and create for themselves.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth. This is only my 2nd year of hs coming up, and I know there is a lot out there that I haven't looked into yet. I am really interested to see what kind of input some of the more experienced parents might have for you.

Take care, and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Suzanne.

These take a similar approach to what you are looking into building:

Ambleside/CM

Kindred Learning

Konos

I like this approach, and picked up on the concept as I read WTM and learned more about CM and living history books. We use the WTM format and read tons of CM and other living history books in each era, for each subject. I'd LOVE for it to all be in one place!!! My best to you for your research and writing!

Thanks, ladies! Ambleside and Heart of Dakota...I have seen them around but never looked into them. Both sound very interesting so I will spend some time looking at them. Magistramom, is Kindred Learning a curriculum or is it philosophy, online? I have never heard of it and am curious. Thanks again...I've got some researching to do!

Thanks, ladies! Ambleside and Heart of Dakota...I have seen them around but never looked into them. Both sound very interesting so I will spend some time looking at them. Magistramom, is Kindred Learning a curriculum or is it philosophy, online? I have never heard of it and am curious. Thanks again...I've got some researching to do!

As I read your original post, I thought that Ambleside, which we use, is probably as close a match as I can think of. We use AO, and it really is wonderful. Take a look not only at years 1-6 but also the upper years. This was our first year with AO. My daughters have really enjoyed it, and so have I. My 11 yo is not going to be able to do all the lower years like my dd 9 will, so for her last lower year before House of Education, I am considering making a few adjustments to what is covered--a pre-Year 7 I suppose, but I would say for the most part, it really is best to do the years as written. There is a lot of info on the site. Take your time going through it. There are also several Yahoo support groups.

Anita

I have to jump in here and say that I, like the OP want something really integrated across the board. I'm an ardent Charlotte Mason'er and really like AO, but I find the curriculum less intergrated than I'd like. I find little unity between the history and literature selections--at least in the first few years. Does it improve and tighten up later? Year One has early British history, Fairy tales, Viking myths and stories, bios of Benjamin Frankilin, George Washington and Buffalo Bill, American geography (Paddle to the Sea by Holling) and various tales of heros through history (50 famous Stories Retold). Also suggested are Aesops Fables, and Tales from Shakespeare. Whew! My head is spinning just summarizing all the different times and places! I've tended to use the AO plans with modifications in the history area, and not integrate literature as fully as I'd like. Am I wrong or missing something?

Before I start writing my own, I need to know from you very knowledgable hive-minders if there is a K-12 curriculum that is completely inter-disciplinary. I want something that builds year by year, ties in history with geography with literature with LA with science and somehow math as well (and why not art, too)!

Well, WTM recommendations for history and literature are interdisciplinary. Add the appropriate years of Harmony Fine Arts and LivingMath.net and you have integrated those two subjects. For science, you'd have to wing it, but there are chronological history of science books and kits you could use and stretch out, such as Beautiful Feet and the kit from Thames & Kosmos.

I'm an ardent Charlotte Mason'er and really like AO, but I find the curriculum less intergrated than I'd like. I find little unity between the history and literature selections--at least in the first few years. Does it improve and tighten up later?

Charlotte Mason actually avoided a high level of integration. She preferred for the children to "make their own connections". She didn't like unit studies and she thought trying to integrate everything was unnatural. Now, I do think that AO has a bit more integration as you go up. They do recommend historical tales and literature within historical context... to some extent.

Debbie, it sounds like you are describing My Father's World. I think it's one of the most integrated programs available. Perhaps not to the level that you are looking for, but it's close. I love AO and will be implementing alot of AO from here on out, but the thing that keeps me going back to MFW (it's kind of a love/not love relationship that I have with MFW) is that it is very orderly, with a clear path. It feels very systematic. I think of it as my "framework" on which I can build just about anything (I'm quite eclectic in some ways) without compromising a sturdy foundation. MFW feels very much like a unit study but there is alot of rich literature that you may overlook in the catalog... the packages appear sort of slim, but the TMs have the large book lists from which you draw.

There may be something out there that is closer to what you are looking for. I think MFW may come quite close. I don't think it will do the whole job for you. It may do enough though. Marie Hazell ties everything up quite nicely.

Charlotte Mason...thought trying to integrate everything was unnatural.

OK, this is what I am wondering...maybe there is not a completely interdisciplinary curriculum because it doesn't make sense to do it that way. Do you know why she felt this way? If there are valid reasons not to full-on integrate, I'd love to know.

And thanks for the additional info on AO, MFW and Tapestry of Grace! I can't wait to start researching them. I have more specific questions but have to get ds to LaCrosse practice now.